Symantec's New Norton Personal Firewall 2002 Combines Powerful Firewall, Application Control, Intrusion Protection
CUPERTINO, Calif. - Aug. 28, 2001 - Symantec Corp. (Nasdaq: SYMC), a world leader in Internet security, today announced Norton Personal Firewall 2002, the only personal firewall to combine rule-based firewall, application control, and intrusion protection capabilities to protect PC users from online security threats. Norton Personal Firewall controls all Internet connections to and from the user's computer, keeping hackers out by blocking attempted intrusions and alerting the user to suspicious programs. Now compatible with Windows XP Home Edition and Windows XP Professional, users of the new operating systems can get the vital additional protection of Symantec's powerful solution.
"The availability of increasingly sophisticated hacking tools combined with today's escalating concerns regarding online privacy signal the need for equally powerful and easy-to-use security tools," said Steve Cullen, senior vice president of Symantec Consumer and Client Product Delivery. "By providing a formidable yet configurable barrier between the Internet and the home computer, Norton Personal Firewall 2002 ensures that PC users can enjoy their Internet use without exposing their systems and data to online threats."
While other firewall products contain only a subset of rule-based firewall, application control and intrusion protection capabilities, Norton Personal Firewall 2002 provides all three - making it the most sophisticated, comprehensive set of technologies available to protect against Internet threats without sacrificing usability. New features include:
- Powerful firewall technology controls all inbound and outbound connections between the PC and the Internet.
- Intrusion Protection with AutoBlock detects port scans and automatically blocks hackers from further attempts to access the user's system.
- Application Control guards against Trojan horses or other malicious applications that attempt to download and launch without the user's knowledge. Norton Personal Firewall scans applications as they attempt to access the Internet, utilizing a database of common applications and automatically sets up firewall rules for optimum protection.
- Norton Personal Firewall keeps personal information private, filtering information the user chooses to protect from unsecured web sites.
- Home Network Wizard automatically detects systems on the user's home network, thereby simplifying setup.
- Application alerts with threat-level assessment is unique to Norton Personal Firewall that helps users decide whether to permit or deny access to the Internet.
- Security Assistant eases and streamlines personal firewall configuration.
- Integrates seamlessly with Norton AntiVirus 2002, the world's most trusted anti-virus solution.
Pricing and Availability
Norton Personal Firewall 2002 is available now for preorder at www.symantecstore.com at an estimated retail price of US$49.95. Current users of Norton Personal Firewall, Norton AntiVirus, Norton AntiVirus Professional Edition as well as competitive firewall products, can take advantage of a $20 mail-in rebate when they upgrade to Norton Personal Firewall 2002. Customers can purchase the product from Symantec's online store at www.symantecstore.com as well as from other online retailers.
Symantec, a world leader in Internet security technology, provides a broad range of content and network security solutions to individuals and enterprises. The company is a leading provider of virus protection, firewall and virtual private network, vulnerability management, intrusion detection, Internet content and e-mail filtering, remote management technologies and security services to enterprises around the world. Symantec's Norton brand of consumer security products leads the market in worldwide retail sales and industry awards. Headquartered in Cupertino, Calif., Symantec has worldwide operations in 37 countries. For more information, please visit
NOTE TO EDITORS: If you would like additional information on Symantec Corporation and its products, please view the Symantec Press Center at
http://www.symantec.com/PressCenter/ on Symantec's Web site. All prices noted are in US dollars and are valid only in the United States.
Symantec, the Symantec logo, AXENT, AXENT Technologies, and the AXENT logo are trademarks or registered trademarks, in the United States and certain other countries, of Symantec Corporation or its subsidiaries. Additional company and product names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of the individual companies and are respectfully acknowledged.
News Releases |