Symantec Introduces Plug-And-Protect Appliances for Small Businesses and Branch Offices
Symantec Firewall/VPN Appliances Combine
Firewall, VPN, Networking and Other Features In a Single Unit
CUPERTINO, Calif. - Oct. 8, 2001 - Symantec Corp. (NASDAQ: SYMC), a world leader in Internet security, today introduced the Symantec Firewall/VPN 100, 200 and 200R to expand its family of security firewall appliances. Designed to allow even a novice user to deploy the device in just minutes, each of the Symantec Firewall/VPN Appliances combines firewall, VPN, networking and other capabilities in a single unit to meet the unique needs of remote offices, branch offices and small businesses.
"Branch offices and small businesses need secure, reliable Internet access and often do not have the on-site technical resources to manage a complex system," said Barry Cioe, Symantec Product Director. "With its all-in-one functionality, small offices can easily install the Symantec Firewall/VPN Appliance to create a high-speed local area network that enables secure access and interaction via the Internet with remote locations, business partners and corporate networks."
The Symantec Firewall/VPN Appliances are integrated security and networking devices that provide easy, secure, reliable and cost-effective connectivity to an Internet service provider or central office. Designed for ease-of-use, these appliances require little technical expertise to install and operate, but offer advanced security capabilities to handle complex business needs and threats. Customers can also gain cost savings by utilizing the included VPN feature to create secure connections, rather than using expensive leased lines.
"The Symantec Firewall/VPN Appliances provide small office customers with an easy-to-deploy security and networking solution which incorporates the comprehensive features that customers have come to expect from a Symantec product," said Chris Poulin, President and Founder of FireTower, a leading Internet security and networking services consulting firm. "With the advent of the firewall/VPN appliances, Symantec has rounded out their family of firewall and VPN products to offer the right capabilities at the right price points for customers of all sizes from the individual end-user to large geographically distributed corporations."
Key features of the product include:
- Secure Firewall - The stateful inspection firewall provides a high level of network security by analyzing information packets and their destinations.
- Easy-to-Use Networking - The built-in 10/100 Mbps Auto-Sense network switch simplifies set up and provides direct connections for office PCs/devices along with fast, local area networking (LAN) performance. Four ports are included in the 100 model and eight port are available in the 200 models. A host of advanced networking features including dynamic DNS, NAT/PAT, PPPoE, and IPSec pass-through increase the longevity of the product.
- VPN gateway and global tunnel - The IPSec VPN end point provides gateway-to-gateway VPN services to other IPSec Certified VPNs. Additionally, the VPN Global tunnel feature allows the administrator to selectively restrict all traffic down the VPN tunnel
- Central Management - Remote or local management of multiple branch offices is easily and securely facilitated using an Internet browser.
- Internet Cost Savings and Ease of Setup- Save money by sharing one or two external IP addresses for an entire office since service providers typically charge by IP address. The included and pre-configured DHCP server (and DHCP client) ease setup and configuration of local networks.
- High Availability/Load Balancing - The included automatic dial-up backup ensures connectivity in the event that the primary broadband connection(s) goes down. Also available on the 200 series models, are two WAN ports that load balance all traffic passing to and from the Internet. Each WAN port can be connected to different service providers even if they each use different technologies (e.g., DSL, Cable Modem). In the event that a service provider fails, all traffic that was passing through the failed port automatically switches over to the working port.
The appliances will be available in three models to provide customers with cost-effective options for their various security and capacity needs: Models 100, 200 and 200R. Symantec Firewall/VPN 100 offers customers a secure firewall and IPSec VPN solution along with a four port 10/100 auto-sense network switch and one WAN port, which provides direct connections for their office PCs and network devices. Symantec Firewall/VPN 200 offers the same secure firewall and VPN solution in addition to an eight port 10/100 auto-sense network switch and load balancing between two WAN ports. Symantec Firewall/VPN 200R provides customers with the same features as the model 200 in addition to remote VPN clients with integrated personal firewall to protect remote workers from malicious attacks.
Symantec Firewall/VPN 100, 200 and 200R appliances are a key part of Symantec Enterprise Security, which provides any size organization with the technology, global response and services necessary to manage its information security. The Symantec Firewall/VPN Appliances complement the existing VelociRaptor firewall/VPN appliance which delivers increased security features and bandwidth for medium to large enterprises. Symantec's comprehensive solution offers best-of-breed products to protect gateways, servers, and clients with virus protection, firewall security, intrusion detection and vulnerability management. Customers benefit from Symantec's global network of researchers that provide customers with around-the-clock, immediate response to any new security-related attacks. Symantec Enterprise Security customers are also supported by one of the largest professional security organizations in the world, offering security consulting, security education and managed security services. For more information, please visit Symantec's enterprise Web site at http://enterprisesecurity.symantec.com
Pricing and Availability
The Symantec Firewall/VPN Appliances will be available through Symantec's worldwide network of value-added resellers, distributors and systems integrators. Suggested prices are $499, $899 and $1,199 for the Symantec Firewall/VPN 100, 200 and 200R, respectively. Organizations seeking a reseller or distributor should contact Symantec at http://www.symantecpartner.com/var/var_locate.html.
Symantec, a world leader in Internet security technology, provides a broad range of content and network security solutions to individuals and enterprises. The company is a leading provider of virus protection, firewall and virtual private network, vulnerability management, intrusion detection, Internet content and e-mail filtering, remote management technologies and security services to enterprises around the world. Symantec's Norton brand of consumer security products leads the market in worldwide retail sales and industry awards. Headquartered in Cupertino, Calif., Symantec has worldwide operations in 37 countries. For more information, please visit
NOTE TO EDITORS: If you would like additional information on Symantec Corporation and its products, please view the Symantec Press Center at
http://www.symantec.com/PressCenter/ on Symantec's Web site. All prices noted are in US dollars and are valid only in the United States.
Symantec, the Symantec logo, AXENT, AXENT Technologies, and the AXENT logo are trademarks or registered trademarks, in the United States and certain other countries, of Symantec Corporation or its subsidiaries. Additional company and product names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of the individual companies and are respectfully acknowledged.
News Releases |