Symantec Ghost 7.5 Offers It Administrators Increased Management Capabilities And "Designed For Windows XP" Logo Certification
CUPERTINO, Calif. - Dec. 12, 2001 - Symantec Corp. (NASDAQ: SYMC), the world leader in Internet security, today announced Symantec Ghost 7.5 Corporate Edition, a comprehensive PC deployment and upgrade solution that now offers IT administrators increased management functionality. Symantec Ghost 7.5 Corporate Edition assists in reducing IT costs by providing administrators an effective solution to remotely clone, deploy, configure, back-up, restore and distribute software specific images to network and mobile PCs.
Ghost 7.5 Corporate Edition introduces new "Remote Boot" functionality to enable administrators to remotely deploy the Ghost client software on individual workstations from a central location. Symantec Ghost 7.5 eliminates the need for an IT administrator to visit a workstation in order to install the Ghost client software or perform routine maintenance and disaster recovery tasks. Administrators also are now offered three methods of deploying Ghost images through the use of the new GhostCast Server.
"Symantec's Ghost 7.5 provides customers with a way to drastically reduce IT costs by offering administrators a market-leading deployment and user configuration solution with even more management functionality than previous versions," said Joe Wang, vice president of Symantec Enterprise Administration. "Ghost 7.5 allows IT administrators to streamline the deployment of operating systems, making Ghost an ideal solution for migrating to a new operating system such as Microsoft Windows XP."
Symantec Ghost 7.5 Corporate Edition has earned both Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional and Server Logo Certification and Designed for Microsoft Windows XP Professional Logo Certification. To earn these certifications, Ghost 7.5 Corporate Edition met a comprehensive set of test criteria implemented by VeriTest, the authorized worldwide laboratory for testing both desktop and server applications for the "Certified for Windows" logo from Microsoft.
Improved Management Tool For Administrators
Symantec Ghost 7.5 includes several new features designed to enhance PC deployment and user management functionality in enterprise environments:
- Symantec Ghost "Remote Boot" Technology: IT administrators can use the Ghost Console to browse for and locate PCs on the network in order to remotely deploy the Ghost client. Once installed, the Ghost client provides the ability to create a "virtual partition" which contains a fully functional Ghost boot environment, thereby eliminating the need to manually visit each workstation with a boot diskette or deploy a physical boot partition.
- GhostCast Server: Provides three methods of Ghost image deployment: Multicast - for simultaneous deployment of one image to multiple computers; Unicast - for deployment of an image to a single client; Subnet Targeted broadcast - for selective deployment based upon subnet grouping.
- Client Initiated Tasks: Provides customers with an optional secure method to perform Ghost Server Console tasks at a workstation, thus eliminating the need for an IT administrator to return to the Ghost Server Console to perform a task and enabling clients to perform cloning, application pull tasks and incremental backups from the workstation.
- GhostCast Throttle: Allows IT administrators to "throttle down" the multicast speed to reduce the amount of network bandwith consumed during multicasting, thereby improving network performance.
- Configurable Client "Heartbeat": Administrators can tune and/or turn off the Ghost Win32 client "heartbeat," reducing network traffic due to ongoing communication between a client machine and the Ghost console.
Ghost 7.5 Corporate Edition also now offers additional flexibility and portability by providing administrators the ability to remotely control the Ghost Console via Microsoft Terminal Server. Ghost 7.5 also supports Linux EXT3, offering comprehensive native support to the newest Linux Journal Filesystem.
Symantec Ghost 7.5 Corporate Edition is available through Symantec's worldwide network of distributors and resellers. For additional product information call (800) 745-6054 or visit www.symantec.com. To obtain licensing information or to locate a reseller, visit http://enterprisesecurity.symantec.com/license/ on the World Wide Web.
Symantec is the world leader in providing solutions to help individuals and enterprises assure the security, availability, and integrity of their information. Headquartered in Cupertino, Calif., Symantec has operations in more than 40 countries. More information is available at www.symantec.com.
NOTE TO EDITORS:
: If you would like additional information on Symantec Corporation and its products, please view the Symantec Press Center at http://www.symantec.com/PressCenter/ on Symantec's Web site. All prices noted are in US dollars and are valid only in the United States.
Symantec, the Symantec logo, VERITAS, and the VERITAS logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Symantec Corporation or its affiliates in the United States and certain other countries. Additional company and product names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of the individual companies and are respectfully acknowledged.
News Releases |