Symantec Corporation Wins 2002 RSA Industry Award
Internet Security Leader Recognized for Ongoing Innovation in Its Technologies and Solutions
CUPERTINO, Calif. - Feb. 19, 2002 - Symantec Corporation, the world leader in Internet security, today announced that it has been selected the winner of one of the most prestigious awards in the field of Internet security - the 2002 RSA Award in Industry. The RSA Award in Industry is designed to reward an individual or organization that has demonstrated ongoing innovation in its technologies and products.
"Symantec Corporation has made an incredible impact on the antivirus security industry," said Art Coviello, CEO and president at RSA Security. "The company's innovative technologies developed to combat today's threats were a key factor in our decision. We congratulate Symantec on its award."
"This award recognizes Symantec's ongoing commitment to researching and developing leading-edge technologies," said John W. Thompson, Symantec chairman and CEO. "We are committed to leveraging our technologies to provide customers with the most comprehensive Internet security solutions available today."
Ninety-eight of the Fortune 100 companies rely on Symantec solutions, services and response capabilities every day to protect them from today's security threats, even sophisticated blended threats such as CodeRed and Nimda. The following are key highlights of Symantec's innovative technologies used to protect its customers from Internet security threats:
- Symantec's unique hybrid firewall security architecture delivers security and speed by ensuring complete and transparent control of information entering and leaving the network. The full inspection firewall technology integrates third-generation security proxies and packet filtering to provide unmatched network security.
- Symantec's policy compliance and vulnerability management system helps manage security patch update functions, while its network-based intrusion detection tool detects attack attempts. Additionally, Symantec's network vulnerability assessment tool detects if vulnerability exists on a system and if so provides recommendations on how to fix it.
- Symantec's patented LiveUpdate technology is the updating component in Symantec's products that automatically detects an Internet connection or modem, and then connects to a Symantec server to download and install Symantec's latest virus definitions or intrusion signatures. LiveUpdate also can be used to install software patches and obtain product information.
- Symantec's patent-pending heuristics technology automatically finds new and unknown viruses. The technology scrutinizes an executable program's overall structure, programming logic, instructions, file data, and other attributes, and then uses heuristic logic to assess the likelihood of viral infection. Clean files pass right through, but infected files are stopped before they can cause harm.
- Scan and Deliver, automated handling of infected files, provides the fastest analysis and response to new virus threats. After a new, irreparable virus has been quarantined, customers can use Scan and Deliver to quickly and easily e-mail the quarantined file to Symantec Security Response, which automatically analyzes the viruses, creates a cure, and sends the repair back to the customer.
- NAVEX is a single, scalable scanning and repair engine that provides the unique ability to update virus definitions and engine extensions‹without having to reboot servers or redeploy application software‹thereby maximizing system uptime and minimizing total cost of ownership.
- Symantec provides the most comprehensive and reliable content filtering, combining list-based URL filtering (in 31 comprehensive categories) with patented, multilingual (14 supported languages) Dynamic Document Review (DDR) context-sensitive (not keyword) analysis technology.
Symantec Enterprise Security provides any size organization with the technology, global response and services necessary to manage its information security. Symantec's comprehensive solution offers best-of-breed products to protect gateways, servers, and clients with firewall security, virus protection, intrusion detection, vulnerability management and virtual private networking (VPN). Symantec Security Response provides customers with comprehensive, global, 24X7 Internet security expertise to guard against today's blended Internet threats. Symantec Enterprise Security customers are also supported by one of the largest professional security organizations in the world, offering security consulting, security education and managed security services. For more information, please visit Symantec's enterprise Web site at http://enterprisesecurity.symantec.com/.
Instituted in 1998, the RSA annual award recognizes individuals and organizations that have made significant, ongoing contributions to security issues in the areas of mathematics, public policy and industry. The selection committee comprises members of the industry, academic community and public sector.
RSA Conference brings together decision-makers and influencers from all major markets, including consumer, education, financial, government, computer networking, telecommunications, Wall Street and the media for one of the industry's premier e-security and cryptography events.
Symantec is the world leader in providing solutions to help individuals and enterprises assure the security, availability, and integrity of their information. Headquartered in Cupertino, Calif., Symantec has operations in more than 40 countries. More information is available at www.symantec.com.
NOTE TO EDITORS:
: If you would like additional information on Symantec Corporation and its products, please view the Symantec Press Center at http://www.symantec.com/PressCenter/ on Symantec's Web site. All prices noted are in US dollars and are valid only in the United States.
Symantec, the Symantec logo, VERITAS, and the VERITAS logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Symantec Corporation or its affiliates in the United States and certain other countries. Additional company and product names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of the individual companies and are respectfully acknowledged.
News Releases |