Symantec Ships First-Of-Its-Kind Integrated Gateway Security Appliance
CUPERTINO, Calif. - April 16, 2002 - Symantec Corp. (NASDAQ: SYMC), the world leader in Internet security, today announced that it is shipping its Symantec Gateway Security appliance. Symantec Gateway Security is a first-of-its-kind security appliance that integrates firewall, gateway-level antivirus, intrusion detection, content filtering and VPN capabilities in a single solution. Symantec Gateway Security is designed to provide small and medium businesses and branch offices of large corporations with cost-effective, secure protection against security breaches at the network perimeter.
"Small-to-medium sized offices often do not have the resources and dedicated IT personnel needed to manage multiple, complex network security products," said Gail Hamilton, executive vice president, Symantec Corp. "We are excited about the opportunity to provide customers with an easy-to-use, integrated network security solution designed to protect against all types of malicious threats, including new blended threats such as Code Red and Nimda."
Symantec Gateway Security provides five core security functions, all managed from a single graphical management console included with the appliance. Using the management console, administrators can manage local and remote appliances over the Internet including advanced configurations, rule sets and cluster parameters. The Symantec Gateway Security appliance provides customers with an ideal way to reduce total cost of ownership by eliminating the need to deploy and manage multiple security products manufactured by different vendors.
"Intrusion detection, firewall and VPN protection, antivirus and content filtering are essential for every business on the Internet today," said Joe Duffy, National Leader, Security Practice, PricewaterhouseCoopers. "Symantec Gateway Security provides offices with 50 to 5000 users with a single-source solution to these five crucial security functions."
Key Product Features
Symantec Gateway Security is a highly integrated network security solution that provides comprehensive protection by combining five essential security functions:
- Firewall Security The integrated firewall component is based on the Symantec Enterprise Firewall 7.0. This hybrid firewall provides full-inspection application proxy technology and automated system hardening to protect corporate networks from today's blended Internet attacks.
- Symantec's award-winning antivirus technology The integrated antivirus is based on Symantec's award winning NAVEX engine and detects malicious viruses, worms and Trojan horses by protecting e-mail, file and Web traffic (SMTP, HTTP and FTP) at vulnerable network gateways.
- Internet Content Filtering Provides integrated URL filtering that restricts access to Web sites deemed not applicable to the organization's use of the Internet.
- Intrusion Detection Integrated intrusion detection detects network attacks, drops offending packets and automatically notifies the firewall of an attack so that appropriate action can be taken (IP black listing) with no human intervention required.
- IPSec Compliant VPN The integrated VPN component is based on the Symantec Enterprise VPN 7.0. This VPN is uniquely secure through its integrated proxy secured VPN technology that ensures administrators can monitor traffic at the application level, not just at the network level, which helps to ensure that a customer's VPN does not become a backdoor security hole.
- Automated Updates Symantec's patented LiveUpdate technology automatically downloads the latest virus definitions and Intrusion detection attack signatures, improving security while easing the administrative workload.
Symantec Security Response ensures customers are protected with the latest updates and information available by proactively providing integrated response specifically matched to the technology offered in Symantec Gateway Security. Symantec Security Response is a team of Internet security experts who deliver solutions, services and response capabilities to Symantec customers worldwide, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The research centers are focused on collecting and analyzing the latest malware threats such as viruses and worms, as well as network security threats and vulnerabilities. Symantec's technical support experts provide customers with information on product implementation and usage, as well as countermeasures and identification tools for new threats. Symantec Security Response also provides time-sensitive security advisories using Web updates, alerting services, technical support and media alerts.
Symantec Gateway Security is a key component of Symantec Enterprise Security, which provides any size organization with the technology, global response and services necessary to manage its information security. Symantec's comprehensive solution offers best-of-breed products to protect gateways, servers and clients with firewall security, virus protection, intrusion detection, vulnerability management and virtual private networking (VPN). Customers benefit from Symantec's global network of researchers that provide customers with around-the-clock, immediate response to any new security-related attacks. Symantec Enterprise Security customers are also supported by one of the largest professional security organizations in the world, offering security consulting, security education and managed security services. For more information, please visit Symantec's enterprise Web site at http://enterprisesecurity.symantec.com.
The Symantec Gateway Security appliance is offered in three different models to accommodate varying license and performance needs. Symantec Gateway Security 5110 provides a max throughput of up to 40 Mbps and a 50-node license. Symantec Gateway Security 5200 provides a max throughput of up to 80 Mbps and a 250-node license. Symantec Gateway Security 5300 is expected to be available in early May and will provide a max throughput of up to 80 Mbps and an unlimited node license. Customers will receive one year of telephone support, advanced replacement and content updates bundled with the appliance.
Symantec Gateway Security is available through Symantec's worldwide network of value-added resellers, distributors and systems integrators. Organizations seeking a reseller or distributor should contact Symantec at http://www.symantecpartner.com/var/var_locate.html.
Symantec is the world leader in providing solutions to help individuals and enterprises assure the security, availability, and integrity of their information. Headquartered in Cupertino, Calif., Symantec has operations in more than 40 countries. More information is available at www.symantec.com.
NOTE TO EDITORS:
: If you would like additional information on Symantec Corporation and its products, please view the Symantec Press Center at http://www.symantec.com/PressCenter/ on Symantec's Web site. All prices noted are in US dollars and are valid only in the United States.
Symantec, the Symantec logo, VERITAS, and the VERITAS logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Symantec Corporation or its affiliates in the United States and certain other countries. Additional company and product names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of the individual companies and are respectfully acknowledged.
News Releases |