Symantec Ghost 8.0 Provides Customers Comprehensive PC Management Solution
Symantec Ghost Reduces IT Costs by Accelerating Windows Migration and Streamlining Configuration Management Tasks
CUPERTINO, Calif. - Oct. 20, 2003 - Symantec Corp. (NASDAQ: SYMC), the world leader in Internet security, today announced Symantec Ghost 8.0 Corporate Edition, a PC management solution that now offers inventory and local cloning enhancements to save IT administrators valuable time. Symantec Ghost 8.0 Corporate Edition assists in reducing IT costs by providing customers an effective solution for operating system deployment, software distribution and back-up and disaster recovery.
Ghost 8.0 Corporate Edition introduces a new hardware and software inventory feature that allows customers to manage hardware and software inventories within their networks from a central location. IT administrators are able to ease OS migration tasks by creating "Dynamic Folders" to manage a group of target PCs based upon hardware or software attributes. Symantec Ghost 8.0 Corporate Edition also now provides a client staging area that enables customers to reduce network bandwidth by keeping a local backup and recovery image, thereby eliminating the need to repeatedly push images over the network.
"Ghost 8.0 Corporate Edition allows customers to drastically reduce the cost of deploying and managing servers, desktops and laptops within the enterprise environment," said Thom Bailey, group product manager, Symantec Corp. "Symantec Ghost continues its market and technological leadership by offering many capabilities that make it one of the most comprehensive PC management and software deployment solutions available for enterprise environments."
Symantec Ghost 8.0 Corporate Edition is an easy-to-use, integrated solution that provides operating system deployment, configuration, computer migration and software deployment across hardware platforms and operating system types. The solution offers IT administrators the ability to deploy or restore an OS image or application onto a PC in minutes and easily migrate individual user settings and profiles to customize the PC.
Symantec Ghost 8.0 includes several new features designed to enhance PC deployment and configuration management functionality in enterprise environments:
- Hardware/Software Inventory - Customers can manage hardware and software inventory from a centralized console and create detailed reports from customizable views. Enables IT administrators to design provisioning tasks based on specific client attributes.
- Client Staging Area - A designated repository that can be dynamically created on managed PCs which provides the ability to launch and execute contents locally, store whole disk images, software "hot fixes" and user profiles. Contents may be preserved during a cloning or restore procedure to ensure an "onboard" recovery solution for every PC.
- Multicast File Transfer - Allows an IT administrator to send and execute individual files or critical security-related "hot fixes" to multiple recipients simultaneously.
- Microsoft Preinstallation Environment (WinPE) Support - Includes a 32-bit version of Ghost and GhostCast Server designed and certified for the Microsoft Windows Preinstallation Environment (WinPE) as well as for Windows 2000 and Windows XP.
- External Media Support - Provides support for direct cloning to supported USB, Firewire and recordable DVD external drives and devices.
- Enhanced File System Support - Includes the ability to read and write images to and from NTFS partitions. Ghost 8.0 also provides full LILO and GRUB support for the EXT2 and EXT3 Linux file systems.
Symantec Ghost 8.0 Corporate Edition is available through Symantec's
worldwide network of distributors and resellers. For additional product
information call (800) 745-6054 or visit www.symantec.com.
To obtain licensing information or to locate a reseller, visit http://enterprisesecurity.symantec.com/license
on the World Wide Web.
Symantec is the world leader in providing solutions to help individuals and enterprises assure the security, availability, and integrity of their information. Headquartered in Cupertino, Calif., Symantec has operations in more than 40 countries. More information is available at www.symantec.com.
NOTE TO EDITORS:
: If you would like additional information on Symantec Corporation and its products, please view the Symantec Press Center at http://www.symantec.com/PressCenter/ on Symantec's Web site. All prices noted are in US dollars and are valid only in the United States.
Symantec, the Symantec logo, VERITAS, and the VERITAS logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Symantec Corporation or its affiliates in the United States and certain other countries. Additional company and product names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of the individual companies and are respectfully acknowledged.
FORWARD LOOKING STATEMENT:
This press release contains forward-looking statements, including forecasts of future revenue and earnings per share, expected industry patterns, and other financial and business results that involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors that may cause our actual results, levels of activity, performance or achievements to differ materially from results expressed or implied by this press release. Such risk factors include, among others: the sustainability of recent growth rates, particularly in consumer products; whether certain market segments, particularly enterprise security, grow as anticipated; the positioning of Symantec's products in those segments; the competitive environment in the software industry; ability to integrate acquired companies and technology; ability to retain key employees; ability to successfully combine product offerings and customer acceptance of combined products; general market conditions, fluctuations in currency exchange rates, changes to operating systems and product strategy by vendors of operating systems; and whether Symantec can successfully develop new products and the degree to which these gain market acceptance. Actual results may differ materially from those contained in the forward-looking statements in this press release. Additional information concerning these and other risk factors is contained in the Risk Factors sections of Symantecís previously filed Form 10-K and Form 10-Q.
Print this Page
News Releases |