Symantec Introduces Comprehensive Integrated Security And Networking Appliance Designed To Protect Small Businesses
New Firewall Appliance Line Offers Customers Six Integrated Security Functions And Secure Wireless Access Point
CUPERTINO, Calif. - March 22, 2004 - Symantec Corp. (NASDAQ: SYMC), the global leader in information security, today announced the Symantec Gateway Security 320, 360 and 360R, to expand its family of firewall appliances with integrated security. This easy-to-use solution provides firewall, intrusion prevention, intrusion detection, antivirus policy enforcement, content filtering and virtual private networking (VPN) functionality in a single, easy-to-use appliance designed for small businesses. In addition, the Symantec Gateway Security 300 Series can function as a standards-based, secure wireless LAN (WLAN) access point. Symantec Gateway Security 300 Series is scheduled to be available in April.
"With an estimated street price starting around $400, the Symantec Gateway Security 300 Series offers customers an excellent value in a highly competitive market," said Charles Kolodgy, research director at IDC. "The integrated security features combined with the ability to ensure antivirus policy compliance allows customers to maximize their security investment."
Symantec Gateway Security 300 Series appliances deliver security and networking capabilities to provide small businesses secure high-speed access, reliable connectivity and ample bandwidth, at an affordable price. By securing both inbound and outbound Web, email and other network traffic, Symantec Gateway Security 300 Series provides small businesses an effective means to create a secure local area network. In addition, Symantec's exclusive LiveUpdate technology ensures that Symantec Gateway Security 300 Series appliances are easily kept up-to-date with the latest firmware updates.
"Small businesses need secure, reliable Internet access and often do not have the on-site technical resources to manage a complex system," said Greg Gotta, vice president, gateway and network security, Symantec Corp. "With its all-in-one functionality, Symantec Gateway Security 300 Series can be easily installed to create a high-speed local area network that enables secure access and interaction via the Internet with remote locations, business partners and corporate networks far better than a firewall only device."
Also available for all models is a wireless LAN access point add-on that allows the Symantec Gateway Security 300 Series to function as a standards-based wireless LAN access point. Customers are able to establish highly secure IPsec VPN tunnels from the wireless clients to the gateway. With one of the biggest barriers to the adoption of WLAN technology being security, Symantec now provides customers an effective solution for deploying WLAN technology. Since any device within range can access clients on a WLAN, it is important to allow traffic only from authorized users. The WLAN option on the Symantec Gateway Security 300 Series can be used with IEEE 802.11g and IEEE 802.11b wireless clients.
Key Product Features
Symantec Gateway Security 300 series is a security solution that provides comprehensive protection by combining essential security and networking functions:
- Six Integrated Security Functions - Includes stateful inspection firewall to analyze information packets and their destinations; intrusion detection to provide comprehensive attack detection, logging and reporting; intrusion prevention to offer customers the ability to block packets that are identified as malicious; antivirus policy enforcement to automatically monitor and ensure that Symantec supported antivirus clients are up-to-date and active on workstations attempting to pass data through the gateway; content filtering to improve productivity and reduce wasted bandwidth by restricting access to unwanted Internet sites; IPsec compliant VPN with hardware assisted encryption to provide secure gateway-to-gateway, client-to-gateway and WLAN-to-gateway tunnels.
- Wireless LAN Access Point - An optional hardware add-on is available for all models to allow the gateway security appliance to also function as a standards-based Wireless LAN Access Point, permitting highly secure IPsec VPN tunnels from the wireless clients to the gateway.
- Easy-to-Use Networking - The built-in 10/100 Mbps Auto-Sense network switch provides local Ethernet LAN switching for numerous devices that need to share the gateway connection to the external network.
- Centralized Remote Management - The Security Gateway Management Interface (SGMI) allows web browser-based local or remote access for full management of individual units.
- High Availability/Bandwidth Aggregation/Load Balancing - The included automatic dial backup ensures Internet connectivity in the event that the primary broadband connection(s) goes down. Also included on the 360/360R models, dual WAN ports can simultaneously send traffic to and from the Internet, with bandwidth aggregation effectively doubling Internet throughput. Each WAN port can be connected to different service providers even if they each use different technologies (e.g., DSL, Cable Modem). In the event that a service provider's link fails, all traffic and gateway VPN tunnels automatically switch over to the working port.
The Symantec Gateway Security 300 Series appliances are integrated security and networking devices that provide easy, secure, reliable and cost-effective connectivity to an Internet service provider. Designed for ease-of-use, these appliances require little technical expertise to install and operate, but offer advanced security capabilities to handle small business needs. Customers can also gain cost savings by utilizing the included VPN feature to create secure connections, rather than using expensive leased lines.
Licensing and Availability
In order to accommodate varying performance needs and port configurations, the Symantec Gateway Security Appliance 300 Series will be offered in three different models (320, 360 and 360R). Customers will receive 90-days of telephone support, one year of hardware warranty and firmware updates via LiveUpdate.
Symantec Gateway Security 300 Series is scheduled to be available
in April through Symantec's worldwide network of value-added resellers,
distributors and systems integrators. Organizations seeking a reseller
or distributor should contact Symantec at https://partnernet.symantec.com/internet/locator/Locator01.asp.
Symantec is the world leader in providing solutions to help individuals and enterprises assure the security, availability, and integrity of their information. Headquartered in Cupertino, Calif., Symantec has operations in more than 40 countries. More information is available at www.symantec.com.
NOTE TO EDITORS:
: If you would like additional information on Symantec Corporation and its products, please view the Symantec Press Center at http://www.symantec.com/PressCenter/ on Symantec's Web site. All prices noted are in US dollars and are valid only in the United States.
Symantec, the Symantec logo, VERITAS, and the VERITAS logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Symantec Corporation or its affiliates in the United States and certain other countries. Additional company and product names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of the individual companies and are respectfully acknowledged.
Print this Page
News Releases |