Symantec Announces Enhanced Integrated Protection for Remote Users and Networked Clients
Integrated Firewall, Intrusion Detection and Antivirus Technologies Within Symantec Client Security 2.0 Protect Enterprise Networks
CUPERTINO, Calif. - April 5, 2004 -
Symantec Corp. (NASDAQ: SYMC), the global leader in information security,
today announced Symantec Client Security 2.0, with zero-day protection
for enterprise clients against blended threats and worms like Blaster,
Welchia, and SoBig. Through integrated antivirus, firewall and intrusion
prevention technologies, Symantec Client Security 2.0 protects enterprise
clients from malicious code, unauthorized intrusions and port scans.
“Symantec Client Security is the ideal solution for organizations seeking better protection from today’s blended threats,” said Lily De Los Rios, vice president, client and host security, Symantec. “Blended threats made up 54 percent of malicious code submissions to Symantec’s response center over the last 6 months. Being able to provide zero-day protection while the customer deploys the appropriate patch is a key part of the value of Symantec Client Security. ”
Perimeter security alone is not sufficient to keep unwanted threats and intruders from infecting enterprise networks and spreading blended threats from client machines. With the ever-increasing speed in which today’s threats spread, Symantec Client Security 2.0 protects enterprise endpoints from unwanted intruders connecting to the corporate network.
Response time during a blended threat outbreak can be dramatically shortened through Symantec Client Security’s single update mechanism, combining virus definitions, firewall rules and intrusion detection signatures. The integration of multiple security functions enables Symantec to provide quick and comprehensive updates in a single LiveUpdate session when malicious code attacks occur, a much more efficient and effective alternative to multiple-product updates. Most important, these updates are delivered by the Symantec Security Response team, which provides fast, global, integrated analysis and response.
Symantec Client Security 2.0 is a centrally managed client security solution that integrates multiple security functions and includes the following new feature enhancements:
- Outbound E-mail Worm Blocker– Blocks suspicious outbound email activity, such as those exhibited by recent mass mailer attacks like Mydoom and Netsky, preventing client systems from being used to propagate mass mailer threats.
- VPN Compliancy Check – Supports Symantec’s recent initiative to develop a new client compliancy application program interface (API) providing IT Administrators with the ability to block access to an organization's network when a computer's security level does not meet the requirements defined by the organization's security policies. This feature is critical for remote and mobile users, as administrators want to ensure that clients accessing the corporate network have appropriate security policies in place. Security requirements might include verification that antivirus protection is installed and real-time protection turned on; virus definitions are up-to-date; client firewall is installed; and client firewall is enabled with the appropriate policy settings.
- Location Awareness – Ensures the client firewall policy is adhered to regardless of the location of the machine or client access method.
- Expanded Threat Detection – Provides detection for adware and spyware allowing administrators to ensure systems are free of applications that do not pose security threats, but can jeopardize the productivity of end users.
- Threat Tracer – Tracks the origin of infections spread through open file shares such as with FunLove or Nimda.
- Pre-Configured Client Firewall Policies – Speeds up the deployment of Symantec Client Security by including three pre-configured firewall policies: standard, remote and hardened. The hardened policy is recommended for use on clients when a security threat is detected.
- POP3/SMTP Mail Scanning – Provides incoming POP3 and outgoing SMTP email body text and attachment protection against fast-moving, e-mail-based threats, which is ideal for remote and mobile users.
- Client Profiling - Minimizes the number of alerts generated by the client firewall as new applications access the network or Internet.
Symantec will host a Webcast titled “Securing Every Client: A Proactive
Approach for Protecting Your Mobile, Remote and Networked Users” on
Thursday, April 8, 2004 at 8 a.m. PST to provide further information
on Symantec Client Security 2.0. Registration for the Webcast can
be accessed at: http://enterprisesecurity.symantec.com/content/webcastinfo.cfm?webcastid=102.
Symantec Client Security is available through Symantec’s
worldwide network of value-added resellers, distributors and systems
integrators. To obtain licensing information or to locate a reseller,
on the World Wide Web.
Symantec is the world leader in providing solutions to help individuals and enterprises assure the security, availability, and integrity of their information. Headquartered in Cupertino, Calif., Symantec has operations in more than 40 countries. More information is available at www.symantec.com.
NOTE TO EDITORS:
: If you would like additional information on Symantec Corporation and its products, please view the Symantec Press Center at http://www.symantec.com/PressCenter/ on Symantec's Web site. All prices noted are in US dollars and are valid only in the United States.
Symantec, the Symantec logo, VERITAS, and the VERITAS logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Symantec Corporation or its affiliates in the United States and certain other countries. Additional company and product names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of the individual companies and are respectfully acknowledged.
Print this Page
News Releases |