Symantec Announces Enhanced Mail Security Solution for Gateways
Symantec Mail Security for SMTP 4.0 Protects Enterprises From Malicious Threats, Spam and Unwanted Content
CUPERTINO, Calif. - May 10, 2004 - Symantec Corp. (NASDAQ: SYMC), the world leader in information security, today announced Symantec Mail Security for SMTP 4.0, an email security solution that integrates virus protection, spam prevention and email content enforcement as it provides high performance, single-pass scanning of Internet email (SMTP) messages. Symantec Mail Security for SMTP 4.0 offers enterprises a multi-layered approach to stop viruses, spam and unwanted content at the earliest point of entry on to a network, the SMTP gateway layer.
"Today's enterprises need comprehensive virus protection, spam prevention, and content compliance for Web and e-mail traffic at the Internet gateway," said Brian Burke, Research Manager, IDC. "Our research shows that rather than implementing point solutions, customers benefit considerably from an integrated, all-in-one, scalable solution like Symantec Mail Security for SMTP."
"Spam and mass mailer worms from MyDoom to SoBig pose serious problems for enterprise customers in today's business environments," said Greg Gotta, vice president, gateway and network security, Symantec. "Symantec Mail Security for SMTP 4.0 can protect enterprises from the negative impact these threats can have on system resources and storage, employee productivity and overall network security."
Symantec Mail Security for SMTP 4.0 provides a single install and a clean, intuitive management interface along with the following new functionality and feature enhancements:
Symantec Mail Security for SMTP 4.0 is part of Symantec's mail security family of enterprise solutions which includes Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange and Symantec Mail Security for Domino. As critical components of Symantec's multi-tier protection offering, Symantec mail security solutions offer enterprise customers tightly integrated, single install solutions to protect messaging and collaboration environments, while reducing the cost of ownership at the gateway and groupware network tiers.
- Mass Mailer Cleanup: Mass mailer worms automatically generate their own email message along with lethal payloads to spread rapidly to other unsuspecting email users. Instead of eliminating just the infected attachment, the mass mailer cleanup feature safely eliminates the entire message; thereby reducing the volumes of "viral spam" which can clog mail systems and generate helpdesk calls from concerned end-users.
- Improved Antispam Heuristics: The neural-networks-based Heuristic Antispam Engine has been further enhanced to detect today's constantly changing spam content. In addition, regular spam definition updates will be provided through Symantec's LiveUpdate service.
- Auto-Generated Whitelist: The solution automatically learns who the trusted sources are for incoming Internet email which allows the system to avoid scanning known legitimate content using real-time blacklists and the Heuristic Antispam Engine; thereby dramatically reducing the chances of false positive detections. In addition, whitelist support has been enhanced to include support for email addresses and domain wildcards.
- Score-Based Spam Handling: Greater flexibility is provided for handling heuristically detected spam messages based on the spam probability value.
- Custom Filtering Rules: Custom message body rules can be created to help combat spam and control other unwanted content in email.
- Disclaimers: Administrators can enforce use of legal disclaimers in email by automatically inserting custom text into outbound messages.
Symantec Security Response
Symantec Mail Security for SMTP 4.0 customers benefit from Symantec Security Response - receiving the latest security updates and information available. Symantec Security Response is a team of dedicated intrusion experts, security engineers, virus hunters, threat analysts, and global technical support teams that work in tandem to provide extensive coverage for enterprise businesses and consumers. Symantec Security Response works closely with Symantec Managed Security Services 24x7 to protect customers against emerging threats and reduce overall security risk.
Symantec Mail Security for SMTP 4.0 with its integrated antispam,
antivirus and content filtering enhancements is available now. For
trialware, or to obtain licensing information or locate a reseller,
on the World Wide Web.
Symantec is the world leader in providing solutions to help individuals and enterprises assure the security, availability, and integrity of their information. Headquartered in Cupertino, Calif., Symantec has operations in more than 40 countries. More information is available at www.symantec.com.
NOTE TO EDITORS:
: If you would like additional information on Symantec Corporation and its products, please view the Symantec Press Center at http://www.symantec.com/PressCenter/ on Symantec's Web site. All prices noted are in US dollars and are valid only in the United States.
Symantec, the Symantec logo, VERITAS, and the VERITAS logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Symantec Corporation or its affiliates in the United States and certain other countries. Additional company and product names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of the individual companies and are respectfully acknowledged.
Print this Page
News Releases |