Symantec LiveState Recovery Products Provide Fast, Reliable and Cost-Effective System and Data Recovery
Recovery Solutions for Windows Servers and Desktops Ensure Information Availability for Enterprise and Small Business Customers
CUPERTINO, Calif. – Oct. 5, 2004
- Symantec Corp. (NASDAQ: SYMC), the global leader in information security, today announced the availability of the Symantec LiveState Recovery family of products, its disk-based system and data recovery solutions. Three editions of Symantec LiveState Recovery (formerly Symantec V2i Protector) are available: Symantec LiveState Recovery Advanced Server 3.0, Symantec LiveState Recovery Standard Server 3.0, and Symantec LiveState Recovery Desktop 3.0. The products deliver rapid and reliable recovery of critical information and complete systems in the event of a system failure or data loss.
The Symantec LiveState Recovery products simply capture a point-in-time operating state, or LiveState, of an entire server or desktop, which includes the operating system, applications, data, and settings into one easy-to-manage file. These point-in-time snapshots are created hot without interrupting user productivity or application usage. Users can perform a full system restoration, a complete bare metal recovery or retrieve individual files or folders in minutes avoiding the hours it usually takes to manually rebuild servers and workstations and restore data from conventional tape backup.
"Being able to maximize availability and minimize downtime is paramount to us," said Michael Kearns, systems administrator at Syracuse University. "To maintain the integrity of the system, our servers have to stay up and running. Symantec LiveState Recovery Advanced Server 3.0 enables us to do that. It gives us the security of knowing that if a patch or virus corrupts a machine, we can very easily go back in time. I am thrilled with the performance and reliability of Symantec LiveState Recovery Advanced Server 3.0. It has given me peace of mind and has made my job as a network administrator a lot easier."
New features allow IT administrators to:
- Automatically adjust backup routines to occur when events happen that could threaten the stability of a system; for example a new application or patch installation or storage upgrade (Advanced Server and Desktop editions)
- Remotely restore (through embedded Symantec pcAnywhere host technology) servers and desktops using the Symantec Recovery Disk included on the product CD
- Set databases that are Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS)-aware to the quiet state during snapshots without actually taking them offline
- Convert from simple disk to dynamic disk and vice versa
- Adjust system usage performance dynamically to more effectively utilize resources
- Simplify management of snapshots and minimize storage requirements by consolidating incremental snapshots (Advanced Server and Desktop editions)
- Back up data faster through improved snapshot process
- Use the Symantec Recovery Disk to restore systems, perform virus scans, check disk integrity and retrieve files or folders.
"Recovery is the first mission-critical aspect of storage management," said Carolyn DiCenzo, Research Vice-President, Storage and Enterprise Management Group, Gartner Inc. "The future of recovery is not in backup. In many cases, newer technologies such as bare metal restoration, 'hot' snapshots and point-in-time disk-to-disk copies can be used to significantly reduce recovery times and reduce or remove data loss -- while minimizing downtime and increasing service levels. Enterprises must evaluate each expected recovery activity and deploy the appropriate technology to meet defined recovery time objectives."
Symantec LiveState Recovery products give customers a reliable alternative to existing recovery solutions. They also complement customers' existing tape backup environments by providing a first line of defense and can assist organizations in their disk-to-disk-to-tape operations. The release of the Symantec LiveState Recovery products is an additional step in delivering on Symantec's strategy to facilitate the convergence of the storage, security and systems management markets and provide its customers with solutions to meet their critical needs.
"This release of LiveState Recovery is yet another illustration of the enterprise capability of Symantec's recovery technology," said Don Kleinschnitz, vice president of product delivery, enterprise administration, Symantec Corporation. "We continue to change the paradigm of systems and data recovery, providing new levels of simplicity, performance and reliability for customers wanting a front line of defense in their backup and recovery strategy."
Symantec LiveState Recovery Standard Server 3.0 is a value option for organizations that want the key benefits of Symantec LiveState Recovery Advanced Server 3.0 at a lower cost. Symantec LiveState Recovery Desktop 3.0 provides small businesses and enterprise customers with fast and reliable system restoration and data backup capabilities for their workstations and laptops.
Symantec LiveState Recovery Advanced Server 3.0, Symantec LiveState
Recovery Desktop 3.0 and Symantec LiveState Recovery Standard Server
3.0 are scheduled to be available in October through Symantec's worldwide
network of distributors and resellers. For additional product information
call (800) 745-6054 or visit http://sea.symantec.com.
To obtain licensing information or to locate a reseller, visit
http://enterprisesecurity.symantec.com/license on the World Wide
Symantec is the world leader in providing solutions to help individuals and enterprises assure the security, availability, and integrity of their information. Headquartered in Cupertino, Calif., Symantec has operations in more than 40 countries. More information is available at www.symantec.com.
NOTE TO EDITORS:
: If you would like additional information on Symantec Corporation and its products, please view the Symantec Press Center at http://www.symantec.com/PressCenter/ on Symantec's Web site. All prices noted are in US dollars and are valid only in the United States.
Symantec, the Symantec logo, VERITAS, and the VERITAS logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Symantec Corporation or its affiliates in the United States and certain other countries. Additional company and product names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of the individual companies and are respectfully acknowledged.
Print this Page
News Releases |