250-255: Administration of Symantec Storage Foundation 6.1 for UNIX
Although each product varies in complexity and depth, all certification exams are created specifically for customers and cover core elements measuring technical knowledge against factors such as installation, configuration, deployment and management & administration.
This program consists of a technical exam at a product/version level that validates that the successful candidate has the knowledge and skills necessary to successfully administer Symantec Storage Foundation 6.1 for UNIX.
To achieve this level of certification, candidates must pass the technical exam and accept the Symantec Certification Agreement.
Below includes the recommended preparation to achieve this level of expertise.
- Exam Objectives (PDF)
- Sample Exam
- The study guide is targeted for those who have attended the recommended 5 day training course. This self-study guide summarizes the key lessons and topics in the corresponding certification exam.
- Recommended 6-12 months experience working with Symantec Storage Foundation 6.1 for UNIX in a production or lab environment.
- Recommended knowledge of UNIX system and network administration.
- Recommended knowledge of storage virtualization and high availability concepts.
Familiarity with product documentation:
- Symantec Storage Foundation 6.x Release Notes
- Symantec Storage Foundation 6.x Installation Guide
- Symantec Storage Foundation 6.x Administrator’s Guide
- Symantec Dynamic Multi-Pathing 6.x Administrator’s Guide
- Symantec Storage Foundation and High Availability Solutions 6.x: What’s New in this Release Guide
- Symantec Dynamic Multi-Pathing Release Notes 6.x
- Symantec Storage Foundation High Availability Solutions 6.x Solutions Guide
- Symantec Dynamic Multi-Pathing Installation Guide 6.x
- Symantec Storage Foundation and High Availability Troubleshooting Guide 6.x
Hands-on Experience (Real World or Virtual):
- Perform pre-installation and pre-upgrade checks using the SORT tool.
- Describe the benefits of Storage Foundation to include the different product levels.
- Identify Volume Manager storage objects and volume layouts.
- Install Storage Foundation 6.1 packages to new systems and upgrade Storage Foundation to version 6.1 on existing servers.
- Verify Storage Foundation 6.1 is properly installed and configuration daemon is online.
- Describe the components that make up the Storage Foundation 6.1 architecture.
- Describe the Storage Foundation 6.1 user interfaces to include command line and GUI interfaces.
- Verify existing Storage Foundation licenses and install new licenses as needed.
- Initialize and manage devices using the command line or VOM interface.
- Create and manage disk groups using the command line or VOM interface.
- Create, delete and manage volumes of different types using the command line or VOM interface.
- Configure volumes by adding mirrors and logs to existing volumes using the command line or VOM interface.
- Create File Systems on existing volumes.
- Perform file system administration on File Systems.
- Have a basic knowledge of Storage Foundation 6.1 Dynamic Multi-Pathing, load balancing, and failover.
- Use the Dynamic Multi-Pathing feature to view and manage storage.
- Perform basic troubleshooting of Storage Foundation 6.1.
- Describe the Storage Foundation 6.1 support tools to analyze and monitor performance including VxBench.
- Create and point in time copies on Volume Manager volumes and File Systems (snapshots and checkpoints).
- Perform deduplication and compression on File Systems.
- Manage disks, disk groups and volumes using site awareness (remote mirroring).
- Create and manage a SmartTier environment.
Symantec Web sites (Symantec Technology Network, Symantec Support, and product pages)
Note: If you do not have prior experience with this product, it is recommended that you complete an in-person, classroom training or Virtual Academy virtual classroom training class in preparation for the SCS exam. If you have experience with this product, you may find an online course equivalent to be sufficient. Be cautioned that attendance in a training course does not guarantee passage of a certification exam.
Contact the Symantec Certification Team
Can't find what you're looking for?
If you have questions or need further assistance, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org