250-271: Administration of Symantec NetBackup 7.5 for Unix
Although each product varies in complexity and depth, all certification exams are created specifically for customers and cover core elements measuring technical knowledge against factors such as installation, configuration, product administration, day-to-day maintenance, and troubleshooting.
This program consists of technical exams at a product/version level that validate that the successful candidate has important knowledge and skills necessary to plan, install, configure, and maintain NetBackup version 7.5 for UNIX.
To achieve this level of certification, candidates must pass the technical exam and accept the Symantec Certification Agreement.
Below includes the recommended preparation to achieve this level of expertise.
- Exam Objectives (PDF)
- Sample Exam
- The study guide is targeted for those who have attended the recommended 5 day training course. This self-study guide summarizes the key lessons and topics in the corresponding certification exam.
- Recommended 8-12 months experience administering NetBackup or working in Technical Support
- Knowledge of UNIX system and network administration
- Knowledge of storage virtualization and data protection concepts
- Familiarity with the administration and configuration of a UNIX operating system supported by NetBackup
Product documentation for NetBackup 7.5:
- Symantec NetBackup Administrator's Guides (UNIX and Linux)
- Symantec NetBackup Installation Guide (UNIX and Linux)
- Symantec NetBackup OpsCenter Administrator's Guide
- Symantec NetBackup Deduplication Guide
- Symantec NetBackup Troubleshooting Guide
- Symantec NetBackup Commands
Hands-on Experience (Real World or Virtual):
- Install NetBackup 7.5 server and client software on supported Windows- or UNIX-based platforms.
- Upgrade a NetBackup environment to version 7.5, including the upgrade of master server, media server, and client software on supported Windows- or UNIX-based platforms.
- Describe NetBackup terminology and architecture.
- Describe NetBackup communication mechanisms.
- Describe NetBackup general hardware and software requirements.
- Start and stop NetBackup on supported NetBackup server and client platforms.
- Perform common NetBackup configuration tasks, including (but not limited to): device configuration, media manager and disk storage unit configuration, storage unit group configuration, volume and volume pool configuration, storage server and disk pool configuration, and policy, schedule, and storage lifecycle policy configuration.
- Perform common NetBackup administrative tasks, including (but not limited to): device monitoring and status manipulation, storage unit and storage unit group monitoring, removable media monitoring and management tasks, policy, schedule, and storage lifecycle policy administration, job monitoring and administration, NetBackup report generation and analysis
- Identify and collect NetBackup failure status and related information.
- Troubleshoot and resolve common backup and restore problems.
- Gather NetBackup troubleshooting information and log files using utilities provided with NetBackup.
Symantec Web sites (Symantec Technology Network, NetBackup Tech Center, Symantec Support, and product pages)
Other Recommended Courses:
- Symantec NetBackup 7.5 for UNIX: Advanced Administration – 4-day ILT (instructor led training in a classroom or in the Virtual Academy)
- Symantec NetBackup 7.5 for UNIX: Maintain and Troubleshoot – 3-day ILT (instructor led training in a classroom or in the Virtual Academy)
- Symantec OpsCenter 7.5: Install, Configure, and Deploy; WBT (Web-based training / eLearning) and Symantec OpsCenter 7.5: Manage and Administer; WBT (Web-based training / eLearning)
- Symantec NetBackup 7.5 for UNIX and Windows – Differences; WBT (Web-based training / eLearning)
- Upgrading to Symantec NetBackup 7.5 for UNIX and Windows
Note: If you do not have prior experience with this product, it is recommended that you complete an in-person, classroom training or Virtual Academy virtual classroom training class in preparation for the SCS exam. If you have experience with this product, you may find an online course equivalent to be sufficient. Be cautioned that attendance in a training course does not guarantee passage of a certification exam.
Contact the Symantec Certification Team
Can't find what you're looking for?
If you have questions or need further assistance, send an email to email@example.com