250-315: Administration of Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1
Although each product varies in complexity and depth, all certification exams are created specifically for customers and cover core elements measuring technical knowledge and competency against factors such as installation, configuration, product administration, day-to-day maintenance, and basic troubleshooting.
The program consists of a technical exam at a product/version level that validates that the successful candidate has the knowledge and skills necessary to successfully administer Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.
To achieve this level of certification, candidates must pass the technical exam and accept the Symantec Certification Agreement.
Below includes the recommended preparation to achieve this level of expertise.
Familiarity with the following:
- Knowledge of Windows system and network administration.
- Knowledge of advanced computer terminology, including TCP/IP networking terms and Internet terms.
- Basic understanding of computer viruses, spyware, and other types of malware.
- Understanding of Symantec Endpoint Protection virus and spyware protection technologies including Symantec Insight.
- Understanding of network threat prevention technologies such as firewall technologies and intrusion prevention.
- Understanding of proactive threat prevention technologies such as SONAR, heuristic based protection, and application and device control.
- Basic understanding of Symantec Endpoint Protection support of virtual environments.
- Basic understanding of the implications and ramifications of security risks.
- Basic understanding of database and web server concepts.
- Basic understanding of Mac client functionality.
Hands-on Experience (Real World or Virtual):
- Deploy software packages to new systems and update Symantec Endpoint Protection on existing clients.
- Verify Symantec Endpoint Protection clients are online and functional.
- Respond to Symantec Endpoint Protection client messages and apply a solution accordingly.
- Create Symantec Endpoint Protection policies based on a specified design.
- Describe the components that make up the Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1 infrastructure.
- Prepare for, install and configure the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager and client software.
- Explain the process to upgrade a Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager and client.
- Possess in-depth knowledge of the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager console and menus.
- Manage clients through groups/locations.
- Manage and apply policies such as Virus and Spyware Protection policies, Firewall policies, Intrusion Prevention policies, Application and Device Control policies, LiveUpdate policies, and Centralized Exception policies.
- Use reports and logs to identify security problems and monitor status and security events.
- Update products and content.
- Explain the options for updating clients.
- Explain how communication works between clients, manager and the console and configure clients to communicate properly.
- Integrate with Active Directory or LDAP.
- Manage the embedded or Microsoft SQL Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager database settings.
- Have a basic knowledge of Symantec Endpoint Protection replication, load balancing, and failover.
- Basic troubleshooting for Symantec Endpoint Protection.
- Aware of the Symantec Endpoint Protection support tools including Power Eraser.
- Activate the product with the appropriate license or serial number.
- Create and Manage Administrator Accounts in the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager Console.
- Have a basic knowledge of Symantec Endpoint Protection domains.
- Design basic architectures.
- Distinguish between client-mode and user-mode.
- Design complex architectures (e.g., large sites with low bandwidth and multiple data centers).
- Interpret the results of reports and determine the action to take to remediate the situation.
- Use unmanaged detector feature.
- Install and configure Linux clients.
- Configure Symantec Endpoint Protection replication, load balancing, and failover.
- Configure and implement Symantec Endpoint Protection domains.
- Perform basic disaster recovery planning and implementation.
- Enable debugging and gather logs for technical support use.
Symantec Web sites (knowledge base, yellow books, and product pages)
Note: If you do not have prior experience with this product, it is recommended that you complete an in-person, classroom training or Virtual Academy virtual classroom training class in preparation for the SCS exam. If you have experience with this product, you may find an online course equivalent to be sufficient. Be cautioned that attendance in a training course does not guarantee passage of a certification exam.
Contact the Symantec Certification Team
Can't find what you're looking for?
If you have questions or need further assistance, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org