250-513: Administration of Symantec Data Loss Prevention 12
Although each product varies in complexity and depth, all certification exams are created specifically for customers and cover core elements measuring technical knowledge against factors such as installation, configuration, product administration, day-to-day maintenance, and troubleshooting.
This program consists of a technical exam at a product/version level that validates that the successful candidate has an understanding and evaluation of the installation, configuration, deployment, management and administration, and basic troubleshooting of Symantec Data Loss Prevention 12.
To achieve this level of certification, candidates must pass the technical exam and accept the Symantec Certification Agreement.
Below includes the recommended preparation to achieve this level of expertise.
- Exam Objectives (PDF)
- Sample Exam
- The study guide is targeted for those who have attended the recommended 5 day training course. This self-study guide summarizes the key lessons and topics in the corresponding certification exam.
- Experience with the product through shadowing of a successful risk assessment, technical evaluation, product deployment, or six months experience administering DLP 12.
Familiarity with other resources:
Familiarity with product documentation:
- Symantec Data Loss Prevention Third Party License Agreements
- Symantec Data Loss Prevention 64-bit Server Migration and Tuning Guide
- Symantec Data Loss Prevention Administration Guide
- Symantec Data Loss Prevention Data Insight Implementation Guide
- Symantec Data Loss Prevention MTA Integration Guide for Network Prevent (Email)
- Symantec Data Loss Prevention Email Quarantine Connect FlexResponse Implementation Guide
- Symantec Data Loss Prevention Encryption Insight Implementation Guide
- Symantec Data Loss Prevention Incident Reporting and Update API Developers Guide
- Symantec Data Loss Prevention Installation Guides for Windows
- Symantec Data Loss Prevention Installation Guides for Linux
- Symantec Data Loss Prevention Lookup Plug-In Guide
- Symantec Data Loss Prevention Network Monitor and Prevent Performance Sizing Guidelines
- Symantec Data Loss Prevention Release Notes
- Symantec Data Loss Prevention Reporting API Developers Guide
- Symantec Data Loss Prevention Integration Guide for Squid Web Proxy
- Symantec Data Loss Prevention SharePoint Quarantine FlexResponse Plug-in Implementation Guide
- Symantec Data Loss Prevention Supportability Telemetry Guide
- Symantec Data Loss Prevention System Maintenance Guide
- Symantec Data Loss Prevention System Requirements and Compatibility Guide
- Symantec Data Loss Prevention TMG Integration Guide
- Symantec Data Loss Prevention Upgrade Guide for Windows
- Symantec Data Loss Prevention Upgrade Guide for Linux
- Symantec Data Loss Prevention Utilities Guide
- Symantec Data Loss Prevention VML Best Practices Guide
- Symantec Data Loss Prevention Oracle 11g Installation and Upgrade Guide – Partner only
- Symantec Data Loss Prevention DLP Software
- Symantec Data Loss Prevention Upgrade Guide Win
- Symantec Data Loss Prevention Detection Customization Guide
- Symantec Data Loss Prevention Incident Reporting Update API Examples
- Symantec Data Loss Prevention 3rd party attributions
- Symantec Data Loss Prevention Solution Pack Descriptions:
- Data Classification for Enterprise Vault Solution Pack
- Energy and Utilities Solution Pack
- EU and UK Solution Pack
- Federal Solution Pack
- Financial Services Solution Pack
- General Solution Pack
- Health Care Solution Pack
- High Tech Solution Pack
- Insurance Solution Pack
- Manufacturing Solution Pack
- Media and Entertainment Solution Pack
- Pharmaceutical Solution Pack
- Retail Solution Pack
- Standard Solution Pack
- Telecom Solution Pack
- Microsoft Active Directory administration and maintenance
- Relational database administration and maintenance
- Windows 2008 Server, and RHEL (Linux) administration and maintenance
- Basic computer networking, packet capture, virtual private networks (VPN’s), and information security concepts
- Basic server management, desktop management, and storage arrays
- Package management and deployment
Hands-on Experience (Real World or Virtual):
- Experience with the product through shadowing of a successful risk assessment, technical evaluation, product deployment, or six months experience administering Symantec Data Loss Prevention 12.
- Install Symantec Data Loss Prevention software including a detection server.
- Create reports using filtering and summarization.
- Navigate to appropriate reports including dashboards, incident lists, incident snapshots, and so forth.
- Use product specific out-of-the-box reports.
- Remediate incidents using response rules, workflow, and/or roles-based access control (RBAC).
- Create new policies using the policy builder including those based on templates.
- Configure automated and smart response rules and execute appropriately.
- Use product specific response rules including those for Network Prevent, Mobile Prevent, Network Protect, Network Discover, Endpoint Prevent, and Endpoint Discover.
- Manage DLP Agents.
- Define mobile device IP ranges to identify mobile traffic.
- Use available detection methods in policies and be able to capture incidents.
- Create Network Discover file system targets and run related scans.
- Configure targets to meet bandwidth and scheduling requirements.
- Create Endpoint Discover targets and run related scans.
- Create alerts for designated events.
- Create attributes, policy groups, roles, and users.
- Configure basic system settings.
- Manage credentials.
- Use online help.
- Recognize problems with system components and begin basic troubleshooting.
- Install and upgrade Symantec Data Loss Prevention software including Oracle, Symantec Management Platform, and Endpoint agents.
- Describe and apply best practices and priorities for creating and implementing response rules.
- Select and prepare data sources for EDM indexes.
- Describe the creation of an EDM index with the Remote Indexer.
- Plan and carry out an efficient strategy for regularly updating EDM indexes.
- Use advanced EDM features.
- Select and prepare data sources for IDM indexes.
- Plan and carry out an efficient strategy for regularly updating IDM indexes.
- Select and prepare data samples for creating VML profiles.
- Implement policy best practices.
- Implement policy lifecycle stages.
- Protect data by quarantining and/or copying to a secure location.
- Understand the FlexResponse platform for custom remediation.
- Block Endpoint actions based on a user’s Active Directory group membership.
- Describe server administration tasks and tools for generating event and traffic reports.
- Describe various troubleshooting techniques for the system including understanding the message chain and performing log analysis.
- Describe effective management of agents.
- Configure IP and L7 filters.
- Configure content filters to include discover and endpoint filters.
- Explain and define Mobile Device Management (MDM) virtual private network (VPN) profiles.
- Explain and define iOS profiles using the Symantec Management Console.
- Use Mobile Prevent to monitor email, Web, and application communications from an iOS device.
- Set up Active Directory/LDAP authentication, and the Certificate Authority/Simple Certification Enrollment Protocol.
- Install additional locales and language packs.
- Integrate Network Prevent for email.
- Define Data Insight and Symantec Management Platform (SMP) and explain its integration with Symantec Data Loss Prevention.
Note: If you do not have prior experience with this product, it is recommended that you complete an in-person, classroom training or Virtual Academy virtual classroom training class in preparation for the SCS exam. If you have experience with this product, you may find an online course equivalent to be sufficient. Be cautioned that attendance in a training course does not guarantee passage of a certification exam.
Contact the Symantec Certification Team
Can't find what you're looking for?
If you have questions or need further assistance, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org