January 10, 2008
The Patches module checks for the presence of operating system and application patches that strengthen system security. Patch information is stored in Patch templates.
Symantec updates Patch templates with the Symantec ESM policy installer. This ensures that updated Patch templates for supported operating systems and applications are available for policies that are delivered with Security Update releases. Installing this update adds or updates the Patches policy and associated template files on the Symantec ESM manager.
This rapid response patch update for Symantec Enterprise Security Manager reports operating system and application patches for Windows operating system. There are a total of 21 new patch signatures in 8 templates.
Note: The Patch templates have been created based on available information as on 21 December, 2007.
The new templates are as follows:
- Patch.pwv (Microsoft Windows Vista - 1 new)
- Patch.pxw (Microsoft Windows Vista x64 - 1 new)
- patch.p3i (Microsoft Windows Server 2003 for 64-Bit Itanium-based Systems - 4 new)
- patch.p64 (Microsoft Windows Server 2003 x64 Editions - 5 new)
- patch.p6s (Microsoft Windows Server 2003 - 4 new)
- patch.ps5 (Microsoft Windows 2000 Server - 2 new)
- patch.pw5 (Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional - 2 new)
- patch.pwx (Microsoft Windows XP Professional - 2 new)
This rapid response policy includes updates to the Patches module templates that detect new vendor-released patches on the following operating systems:
- Windows Vista Enterprise 32-bit
- Windows Vista Enterprise 64-bit (Opteron and EM64T)
- Windows Server 2003 64-bit (Opteron and EM64T)
- Windows Server 2003
- Windows XP Professional
- Windows 2000 Server and Windows 2000 Advanced Server
- Windows 2000 Professional
The following applications are also supported:
- Microsoft Internet Explorer (IE)
- Internet Information Services Web server (IIS)
- Microsoft SQL Server
- Microsoft Exchange Server
- Microsoft Internet Security and Acceleration Server
- Microsoft Outlook
- Microsoft Outlook Express
- Microsoft Visual Studio
- Microsoft Windows Media Player
- Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services
This policy is designed for Symantec ESM agents running SU24 (and later) versions of the Patch module
For SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9 PPC64 support, the minimum requirement is SU31 on ESM agents.
ESM 6.0, 6.1.1 and 6.5 users: To automatically install, use the link below or use LiveUpdate.
For agents earlier than 6.5, use the LiveUpdate package entitled, Patch Policies – OS Patches for 5.5/ 6.0
For 6.5 agents and later, use the LiveUpdate package entitled, Patch Policies – OS Comprehensive
Note: For more information regarding this update, download the Patch Policy Release Notes <pup_rn.pdf.
Last modified on: January 10, 2008