April 25, 2008
The Patches module checks for the presence of operating system and application patches that strengthen system security. Patch information is stored in Patch templates.
Symantec updates Patch templates with the Symantec ESM policy installer. This ensures that updated Patch templates for supported operating systems and applications are available for policies that are delivered with Security Update releases. Installing this update adds or updates the Patches policy and associated template files on the Symantec ESM manager.
This rapid response patch update for Symantec Enterprise Security Manager reports the operating system and application patches for UNIX operating system. There are a total of 1769 new patch signatures and 4449 updated patch signatures in 6 templates.
The new templates are as follows:
- patch.p64 (Microsoft Windows Server 2003 x64 Editions - 1 updated)
- patch.p6s (Microsoft Windows Server 2003 - 1 updated)
- patch.ph1 (HP HP-UX 11.00-11.23 PA-RISC - 1001 new, 3495 updated)
- patch.ph2 (HP HP-UX 11.23 for Itanium based systems - 11 new, 952 updated)
- patch.plx (RedHat Linux and Enterprise Linux - 290 new)
- patch.psl (SUSE Linux - 467 new)
This rapid response policy includes updates to the Patches module templates that detect new vendor-released patches on the following operating systems:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux
- SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 9 and 10
- SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 9 and 10 for Itanium Processor Family
- SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 9 and 10 PPC64
- SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 9 and 10 for AMD64 and EM64T (x86_64)
This policy is designed for Symantec ESM agents running SU24 (and later) versions of the Patch module.
For SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 9 PPC64 support, the minimum requirement is SU31 on ESM agents.
ESM 6.0, 6.1.1 and 6.5 users: To automatically install, use the link below or use LiveUpdate.
For agents earlier than 6.5, use the LiveUpdate package entitled, Patch Policies - OS Patches for 5.5/ 6.0
For 6.5 agents and later, use the LiveUpdate package titled, Patch Policies - OS Comprehensive.
For more information regarding this update, download the Patch Policy Release Notes <pup_rn.pdf
Last modified on: April 25, 2008