June 24, 2010
The Patches module checks for the presence of operating system and application patches that strengthen the system security. The patch information is stored in the patch templates.
Symantec updates the patch templates with the Symantec ESM policy installer. This ensures that the updated Patch templates for supported operating systems and applications are available for the policies that are delivered with the Security Update releases. Installing this update adds or updates the Patches policy and the associated template files on the Symantec ESM manager.
This rapid response patch update for Symantec Enterprise Security Manager reports the operating systems and application patches for Windows.
The following issue is resolved in this release:
In the MS10-033 bulletin, a precondition to check for the existence of DirectX 9 on the ESM agent computer has now been added in the Windows 2000 template.
This precondition is not supported on any other Windows Operating system as Microsoft bulletin does not indicate the DirectX version for the other Windows Operating systems.
The following templates are updated in this release:
||Application on operating system
||Microsoft Windows 2000 Server and Windows 2000 Advanced Server
||Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
This rapid response policy includes updates to the Patches module templates that detect new vendor-released patches on the following operating systems:
- Windows Vista Enterprise 32-bit
- Windows Vista Enterprise 64-bit (Opteron and EM64T)
- Windows Server 2003 and 2008 64-bit (Opteron and EM64T)
- Windows Server 2003 and 2008
- Windows Server 2003 and 2008 (Itanium)
- Windows XP Professional
- Windows 2000 Server and Windows 2000 Advanced Server
- Windows 2000 Professional
- Windows 7 on x86 and Opteron
- Windows 2008 R2 on Itanium, Opteron, and Xeon
See the Symantec Enterprise Security Manager Data Sheet [link: http://eval.veritas.com/mktginfo/enterprise/fact_sheets/ent-factsheet_enterprise_security_manager_6.5_06-2005.en-us.pdf
] for specific version information.
The following applications are also supported:
- Microsoft Internet Explorer (IE)
- Internet Information Services Web server (IIS)
- Microsoft SQL Server
- Microsoft Exchange Server
- Microsoft Internet Security and Acceleration Server
- Microsoft Outlook Express
- Microsoft Visual Studio
- Microsoft Windows Media Player
- Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services
Last modified on: June 24, 2010