November 30, 2010
The Patches module checks for the presence of operating system and application patches that strengthen the system security. The patch information is stored in the patch templates.
Symantec updates the patch templates with the Symantec ESM policy installer. This ensures that the updated Patch templates for supported operating systems and applications are available for the policies that are delivered with the Security Update releases. Installing this update adds or updates the Patches policy and the associated template files on the Symantec ESM manager.
This rapid response patch update for Symantec Enterprise Security Manager reports the operating systems and application patches for UNIX.
There are a total of 824 new patch signatures and 1 updated patch signature in 7 templates.
The summary of the updates is as follows:
- oel-patch.plx (Oracle Enterprise Linux - 64 new)
- patch.pai (IBM AIX - 1 new, 1 updated)
- patch.ph1 (HP-UX 11.00 - 11.31 PA-RISC - 21 new)
- patch.ph2 (HP-UX 11.23 - 11.31 for Itanium-based systems - 20 new)
- patch.plx (RedHat Linux and Enterprise Linux - 455 new)
- patch.ps6 (Sun Solaris 2.6+ - 7 new)
- patch.psl (SUSE Linux - 256 new)
See the Symantec Enterprise Security Manager Data Sheet [link: http://eval.veritas.com/mktginfo/enterprise/fact_sheets/ent-factsheet_enterprise_security_manager_6.5_06-2005.en-us.pdf] for specific version information.
The following applications are also supported:
- Microsoft Internet Explorer (IE)
- Internet Information Services Web server (IIS)
- Microsoft SQL Server
- Microsoft Exchange Server
- Microsoft Internet Security and Acceleration Server
- Microsoft Outlook Express
- Microsoft Visual Studio
- Microsoft Windows Media Player
- Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services
This policy is designed for Symantec ESM agents running SU 24 (and later) versions of the Patch module.
For Microsoft Windows Vista Enterprise 32-bit and 64-bit (Opteron and EM64T) support, the minimum requirement is SU 30 on ESM agents. For SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9 PPC64 support, the minimum requirement is SU 31 on ESM agents.
ESM 6.5 and 9.0
users: To automatically install, use the link below or use LiveUpdate.
Download Patch Policy for Manager
For 6.5 and later agents, use the LiveUpdate package entitled, Patch Policies – OS Comprehensive
For more information regarding this update, download the Patch Policy Release Notes <Symantec_ESM_Patch_Policy_Release_Notes_2010.11.01.pdf
Last modified on: November 30, 2010