September 30, 2008
The Symantec Enterprise Security Manager™ Security Update 2008.09.01 has been enhanced to support AIX 6.1 VIO client version 1.5, SUSE Linux 9 SP4 and 10 SP1 on IBM zSeries (s390x) and SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9 SP4 and 10 SP2, ESX Server 3.5, and Windows Vista SP1 operating systems.
A new feature about executing multiple modules in parallel has been introduced in this release. This feature lets you configure and execute multiple modules simultaneously and collect data from the target agents within a shorter span of time. You can execute multiple modules in parallel only on ESM 9.0 agents.
In addition, 7 new checks have been added across several modules.
Install Security Update 2008.09.01 to upgrade UNIX and Windows security modules on Symantec ESM 6.5.x and 9.0 agents. For detailed descriptions of new features and enhancements, download the Security Update 2008.09.01 Release Notes.
Security Update 2008.09.01 provides the following enhancements:
- Support for the following operating systems on ESM 6.5.3 and later versions:
- AIX 6.1 on AIX VIO client version 1.5
- ESX Server 3.5 (x86, Opteron and EM64T)
- Support for the following operating systems on ESM 9.0 version:
- SUSE Linux 9 SP4 on IBM zSeries (s390x)
- SUSE Linux 10 SP1 on IBM zSeries (s390x)
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9 SP4 (x86, Itanium, PPC64, Opteron and EM64T)
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 SP2 (x86, Itanium, PPC64, Opteron and EM64T)
- Windows Vista SP1 (x86, Opteron and EM64T)
- A new feature about executing multiple modules in parallel for all the ESM OS modules
- Logging feature for the Windows Registry, Account Integrity, and Login Parameters modules.
- 1 new check in the Windows Agent Information module:
- 1 new check in the UNIX File Watch module:
- 1 new check in the Windows Vista Network module:
- Automatically update snapshot
- 2 new checks in the Windows XP and Vista Password Strength module:
- Passwords must meet complexity requirements
- Passwords stored using reversible encryption
- 2 new checks in the Windows Symantec Product Info module:
- Minimum version
- Either Symantec Endpoint Protection or Symantec AntiVirus CE
Note: On the LiveUpdate wizard, the SU version is now visible in the following format:SU <YYYY>.<MM>.<Release_Version>. Where, YYYY is the year of release, MM is the month of release, and Release_Version is the release version of the SU. For example, SU 36 is displayed as SU 2008.09.01 on the LiveUpdate wizard.
Linux Platforms include:
- Red Hat Enterprise Server (x86, Opteron and EM64T)
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9/10 (x86)
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9/10 (Opteron and EM64T)
- ESX Server (x86, Opteron)
For these platforms, continue to use Security Update 18:
For these platforms, continue to use Security Update 17:
The Extended Support TPK includes the following enhancements:
- Large file support
- Extended unprintable characters in filenames support (Solaris only)
- Full promiscuous mode detection (Solaris only)
Refer the following Security Response Web page for information on downloading the ESM 6.0/6.5.x agents:
The SU Release Notes contain the details of all module enhancements.The Symantec ESM OS Checks Reference contains information about the Symantec ESM modules, checks, and messages. Continue using your Security Update 17 User’s Guides until the updated guides are released.
Last modified on: September 30, 2008