February 13, 2007
Microsoft Internet Explorer is prone to a memory-corruption vulnerability when parsing certain FTP server responses.
Successfully exploiting this issue allows remote attackers to execute arbitrary machine code in the context of the affected application. This facilitates the remote compromise of affected computers.
- Avaya Agent Access
- Avaya Basic Call Management System Reporting Desktop
- Avaya Basic Call Management System Reporting Desktop server
- Avaya CMS Supervisor
- Avaya CVLAN
- Avaya Computer Telephony
- Avaya Contact Center Express
- Avaya Enterprise Management
- Avaya IP Agent
- Avaya IP Softphone
- Avaya Integrated Management
- Avaya Interaction Center
- Avaya Messaging Application Server
- Avaya Modular Messaging (MAS)
- Avaya Network Reporting
- Avaya OctelAccess(r) Server
- Avaya OctelDesignerTM
- Avaya Operational Analyst
- Avaya Outbound Contact Management
- Avaya S8100 Media Servers
- Avaya S8100 Media Servers R10
- Avaya S8100 Media Servers R11
- Avaya S8100 Media Servers R12
- Avaya S8100 Media Servers R6
- Avaya S8100 Media Servers R7
- Avaya S8100 Media Servers R8
- Avaya S8100 Media Servers R9
- Avaya Speech Access
- Avaya Unified Communication Center
- Avaya Unified Messenger (r)
- Avaya VPNmanagerTM Console
- Avaya Visual Messenger TM
- Avaya Visual Vector Client
- Avaya Web Messenger
- HP Storage Management Appliance 2.1
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0.1
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0.1 SP1
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0.1 SP2
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0.1 SP3
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0.1 SP4
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.0
- Nortel Networks CallPilot 1002rp
- Nortel Networks CallPilot 200i
- Nortel Networks CallPilot 201i
- Nortel Networks CallPilot 702t
- Nortel Networks CallPilot 703t
- Nortel Networks Centrex IP Client Manager 7.0.0
- Nortel Networks Centrex IP Client Manager 8.0.0
- Nortel Networks Centrex IP Client Manager 9.0
- Nortel Networks Contact Center
- Nortel Networks Contact Center Express
- Nortel Networks Contact Center Manager
- Nortel Networks Contact Center Manager Server
- Nortel Networks Symposium Network Control Center (NCC)
Do not follow links provided by unknown or untrusted sources.
Users should be wary of visiting sites of questionable integrity or following links provided by unfamiliar or suspicious sources.
Set web browser security to disable the execution of script code or active content.
Disabling scripting and active content in the Internet Zone may limit exposure to this and other vulnerabilities.
Implement multiple redundant layers of security.
Various memory-protection schemes (such as non-executable and randomly mapped memory segments) may hinder an attacker's ability to exploit this vulnerability to execute arbitrary code.
Run all software as a nonprivileged user with minimal access rights.
Run the web client as an unprivileged user with minimal access rights. This will limit the impact of latent vulnerabilities.
Microsoft has released an advisory along with fixes to address this issue. Please see the references for more information.
Greg MacManus of iDefense Labs discovered this vulnerability.
Copyright © Symantec Corporation.
Permission to redistribute this alert electronically is granted as long as it is not edited in any way unless authorized by Symantec Security Response. Reprinting the whole or part of this alert in any medium other than electronically requires permission from firstname.lastname@example.org
The information in the advisory is believed to be accurate at the time of publishing based on currently available information. Use of the information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are no warranties with regard to this information. Neither the author nor the publisher accepts any liability for any direct, indirect, or consequential loss or damage arising from use of, or reliance on, this information.
Symantec, Symantec products, Symantec Security Response, and email@example.com
are registered trademarks of Symantec Corp. and/or affiliated companies in the United States and other countries. All other registered and unregistered trademarks represented in this document are the sole property of their respective companies/owners.