February 13, 2007
Microsoft Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) service is prone to a local privilege-escalation vulnerability.
A local attacker can exploit this issue to elevate user privileges. Successful exploits will result in the complete compromise of vulnerable computers.
NOTE: The affected service is available only on Windows XP.
- Microsoft Windows XP
- Microsoft Windows XP Embedded
- Microsoft Windows XP Embedded SP1
- Microsoft Windows XP Home
- Microsoft Windows XP Home SP1
- Microsoft Windows XP Home SP2
- Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition
- Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition SP1
- Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition SP2
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP1
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2
- Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition
- Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition SP1
- Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition SP2
Permit local access for trusted individuals only. Where possible, use restricted environments and restricted shells.
Attackers require local access to exploit this vulnerability. Permit local access for trusted individuals only.
Microsoft has released a security bulletin and fixes to address this issue. Please see the references for details.
The vendor disclosed this issue.
Copyright © Symantec Corporation.
Permission to redistribute this alert electronically is granted as long as it is not edited in any way unless authorized by Symantec Security Response. Reprinting the whole or part of this alert in any medium other than electronically requires permission from email@example.com
The information in the advisory is believed to be accurate at the time of publishing based on currently available information. Use of the information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are no warranties with regard to this information. Neither the author nor the publisher accepts any liability for any direct, indirect, or consequential loss or damage arising from use of, or reliance on, this information.
Symantec, Symantec products, Symantec Security Response, and firstname.lastname@example.org
are registered trademarks of Symantec Corp. and/or affiliated companies in the United States and other countries. All other registered and unregistered trademarks represented in this document are the sole property of their respective companies/owners.