November 21, 2002
The Microsoft Java virtual machine implementation contains a vulnerability that may allow for malicious Java applets to escape the security sandbox.
An applet constructed at the bytecode-level may be able to perform some illegal operations. If these operations are performed, it may be possible to escape the security constraints placed on the applet by the JVM.
Code execution with the privileges of the victim user may be possible.
- Microsoft Virtual Machine 3802 Series
- Microsoft Virtual Machine 3805 Series
- Microsoft Virtual Machine 3809 Series
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server SP1
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server SP2
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server SP3
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Datacenter Server
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Datacenter Server SP1
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Datacenter Server SP2
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Datacenter Server SP3
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional SP1
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional SP2
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional SP3
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Server SP1
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Server SP2
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Server SP3
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Terminal Services
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Terminal Services SP1
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Terminal Services SP2
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Terminal Services SP3
Run all software as a nonprivileged user with minimal access rights.
Run all client software as a user with minimal privileges. This will greatly reduce the consequences of successful exploitation.
Deploy network intrusion detection systems to monitor network traffic for malicious activity.
Filters may be placed at network perimeters which inspect mobile code to determine if it is malicious.
Do not follow links provided by unknown or untrusted sources.
Do not follow any links from unknown or untrusted parties.
Set web browser security to disable the execution of script code or active content.
This vulnerability does not affect the Microsoft JVM Build 3810 and later. Affected users are advised to download and install patches from Windows Update.
Windows 2000 Patches available:
Discovery of this vulnerability credited to Last Stage of Delirium .
Copyright © Symantec Corporation.
Permission to redistribute this alert electronically is granted as long as it is not edited in any way unless authorized by Symantec Security Response. Reprinting the whole or part of this alert in any medium other than electronically requires permission from firstname.lastname@example.org
The information in the advisory is believed to be accurate at the time of publishing based on currently available information. Use of the information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are no warranties with regard to this information. Neither the author nor the publisher accepts any liability for any direct, indirect, or consequential loss or damage arising from use of, or reliance on, this information.
Symantec, Symantec products, Symantec Security Response, and email@example.com
are registered trademarks of Symantec Corp. and/or affiliated companies in the United States and other countries. All other registered and unregistered trademarks represented in this document are the sole property of their respective companies/owners.