- July 16, 2003
- February 13, 2007 12:03:55 PM
Also Known As:
- Downloader-DI [McAfee], TrojanProxy.Win32.Webber.10 [K, Troj/Webber-A [Sophos], Trojan.Download.Berbew
- Trojan Horse
- Windows 2000, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me, Windows NT, Windows XP
Downloader.Berbew is a Trojan Horse that attempts to download Backdoor.Berbew
from the Internet and execute it on the local system. This Trojan was spammed to a large number of individuals in an email message claiming to be from Citibank Accounting or E-Loan.com.
Downloader.Berbew typically arrives as an attachment with a .pif extension, such as:
- www.fdic.com.fraud.security.pif.zip (This is a password protected zip file.)
- Detections for this threat were updated on April 7, 2004 to account for the discovery of a minor variant.
- Virus definitions dated June 6, 2006 or earlier may detect this threat as Trojan.Download.Berbew.
Antivirus Protection Dates
Initial Rapid Release version July 16, 2003
Latest Rapid Release version September 28, 2010 revision 054
Initial Daily Certified version July 16, 2003
Latest Daily Certified version September 28, 2010 revision 036
Initial Weekly Certified release date July 16, 2003
Click for a more detailed description of Rapid Release and Daily Certified virus definitions.
Wild Level: Low
Number of Infections: 50 - 999
Number of Sites: More than 10
Geographical Distribution: Low
Threat Containment: Easy
Writeup By: Sergei Shevchenko