- February 13, 2007 11:35:56 AM
- Windows 2000, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me, Windows NT, Windows Server 2003, Windows XP
Adware.SearchCounter changes Internet Explorer's search and home pages, redirects network traffic, and displays browser popup windows.
Attempts to connect to auto.search.msn.com are redirected to in.webcounter.cc.
- The default search and home pages in Internet Explorer are changed to in.webcounter.cc.
- Internet Explorer popup windows displaying in.webcounter.cc are automatically opened.
- On logon, Windows error messages are displayed, stating that "fntldr.exe cannot be found."
This adware component can be manually installed or installed as a component of another program.
Antivirus Protection Dates
Initial Rapid Release version December 1, 2003
Latest Rapid Release version March 16, 2011 revision 020
Initial Daily Certified version December 1, 2003
Latest Daily Certified version March 16, 2011 revision 024
Initial Weekly Certified release date December 3, 2003
Click for a more detailed description of Rapid Release and Daily Certified virus definitions.