Sustainability & Philanthropy at Vision
Symantec is committed to integrating sustainability into our events and conferences, as well as giving back to the local and global community. Implementing sound environmental practices, along with social initiatives into Vision, and measuring our results, will help improve the environmental and social impact of the conference.
Vision Las Vegas sees the continuation of our Global Sustainable Events Initiative, and we invite you to learn more about our specific actions at Vision and to support us in our commitment.
We are proud to work with suppliers that possess a strong sustainability commitment. As our chosen conference venue, the MGM Grand is a proud recipient of the prestigious "5 Green Keys"
for proficiency in producing green meetings. This designation is awarded to hotels that exemplify the highest standards of environmental and social responsibility in relation to their meeting and convention facilities and practices. MGM Grand
is among an elite group of only six in North America to receive this designation.
- We are dramatically reducing plastic waste by providing every attendee with a refillable water bottle and placing water coolers throughout the conference area. This specific initiative is sponsored by the Symantec NetBackup Appliance group.
- By providing streamlined conference information and limited printed material, we further reduce waste. A pocket guide and Vision Mobile App will provide on-site guidance.
- Digital media boards, emails, the conference website, and a variety of Social Media communications provide up-to-date information.
MGM Grand and Freeman will collect and recycle all of our used expo hall booth components, carpets, banners, printed signage, office supplies, and other conference materials.
Unwanted backpacks, notebooks, badge holders, and other conference materials can be donated to the “Teacher EXCHANGE”
Symantec will leverage an external consultancy to audit, collect, and review all measurement data, and disclose outcomes on the conference’s environmental and social impact. We invite you to read Symantec's very first GRI-based event sustainability report for the Vision 2012 conference in Barcelona
- FIRST Nevada - Symantec is a Contributor sponsor to the Las Vegas FIRST Robotics Competition (FRC). Symantec is proud to support their innovative programs that motivate young people to pursue education and career opportunities in science, technology, engineering, and math, while building self-confidence, knowledge, and life skill.
- NPower - NPower’s mission is to drive social good by empowering the tech community to give back through skills-based volunteering for the benefit of community and the enrichment of corporate volunteers. NPower’s signature programs, The Community Corps and Technology Service Corps, engage volunteers from the tech community in helping nonprofits and schools and delivering critical IT and professional skills training, internships and job placement assistance to underserved young adults and veterans. Symantec has been a proud supporter of this organization, and we look forward to presenting a significant donation as part of our keynote program.
Every little change in your daily habits can help. We would like to encourage you to join us in making Vision a more social and environmentally sound conference. Here are some suggestions:
- Use the most direct flight option to cut down on carbon emissions.
- Share a taxi with a colleague.
- Use public transportation whenever possible.
- Participate in your hotel’s environmental programs while in Las Vegas, e.g. participate in the hotel's linen reuse program.
- Be sure to turn off the air conditioning, lights, TV, laptops and radio when you leave your room. Unplug your phone charger and laptop when you are not using them.
- Use your water bottle at the many water station locations in the convention center, to cut down on single-use bottles and cups.
- Recycle. Use the bins in the convention center to leverage the extensive MGM recycling program.
- Come and meet the young representatives of FIRST Nevada and participate in a robotics demonstration on Tuesday night at the Partner Expo Reception.
- Become a volunteer with NPower.
- Donate. Please leave your badges and any unused conference materials and conference supplies in the designated “Teacher EXCHANGE” recepticles.
Thank you for your help to improve the impact of Vision. We will continue to evaluate opportunities to improve and welcome your feedback