MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. – Feb. 8, 2011 – Norton by Symantec (Nasdaq: SYMC) today announced the next steps in its Norton Everywhere initiative, introducing four new global partnerships and several product updates that help deliver Norton protection across locations, devices and digital experiences. The new and expanded partnerships include Best Buy Canada Ltd., Dixons Retail plc, Kingston Digital, Inc., and UOL Inc. S.A. Product updates include remote locate functionality in Norton Mobile Security, giving Android users the ability to find their device; and the ability to filter inappropriate websites on kids’ mobile and tablet devices over Wi-Fi with Norton DNS.
“As consumers access the Internet on new platforms and devices, they need protection and safety services regardless of how they choose to stay connected,” said Janice Chaffin, group president, Consumer Business Unit, Symantec. “With Norton Everywhere, we’re developing new technologies and partnerships that span multiple channels around the globe to protect consumers and moving Norton beyond the PC security market.”
New and Expanded Partnerships
- Best Buy Canada Ltd. – Canada's fastest-growing specialty retailer and e-tailer of consumer electronics plans to offer Norton Mobile Security online, in stores and through their Geek Squad services.
- Dixons Retail plc – Europe’s leading specialist electrical retailing and services Group, with retail and online brands including Currys, PC World, Elkjop, Kotsovolos, Electro Word, Pixmania and others spanning 28 European countries, plans to offer Norton Mobile Security along with Android phones, tablets and tablet phones.
- Kingston Digital, Inc. – The Flash memory affiliate of Kingston Technology Co., Inc., the independent world leader in memory products, has selected Norton as the security provider for their USB Flash drives containing Kingston’s urDrive, a free pre-loaded application for organizing, discovering and acquiring content such as games and music. urDrive transforms ‘passive’ USB drives used to store and share data into an ‘active storage’ experience.
- UOL Inc. S.A. – Brazil's largest Internet Service and Content Provider with 2.5 million subscribers and more than 4.3 billion page views monthly is already offering Norton mobile solutions to its members.
“Best Buy Canada is very excited to be one of the first North American retailers to provide Norton protection for Android devices with Norton Mobile Security,” said Allan Kambeitz, Director of Computing Solutions at Best Buy Canada Ltd. “Mobile devices are an important part of our future and we want to deliver the best in mobile privacy protection to our customers with a trusted brand and partner.”
“As Android devices - especially in the emerging tablet market - become more and more popular, we are delighted that we can now offer our customers the added benefit of the powerful protection of Norton Security on their tablets or smart phones, which will protect them should they ever be lost, stolen or targeted by cybercriminals,” said Alan Dardis, Senior Category Manager, Dixons Retail plc.
Product and Technology Updates
- Norton DNS 1.5 – Planned for this week, Norton DNS 1.5 users will be able to set household rules to increase web safety and enforce parental controls on Internet usage. Based on the Domain Name System which acts as the Internet’s invisible switchboard, Norton DNS provides a safer, more reliable, and faster Internet experience by leveraging Norton Safe Web technology to deliver a variety of basic protection services like antiphishing, antimalware and anti-spyware. Norton DNS protects users who click on unsafe or inappropriate websites and now gives parents the freedom of creating a single Internet policy for all of the household’s connected devices, from laptops to tablets, filtering inappropriate sites on kids’ mobile and tablet devices when over Wi-Fi.
- Norton Mobile Security for Android 1.5 – Now featuring remote locate functionality in addition to remote wipe/lock, call/SMS block, and antimalware technology. Following a quick initial set-up, users can now locate, lock or wipe their Android device with a simple text message in the event of loss or theft. Norton Mobile Security 1.5 beta has more than 140,000 beta downloads and a 4 out of 5 star rating on the Android Market. Additionally it has been optimized for Android tablets so users can now enjoy the offering on any Android form factor.
- Norton Mobile Utilities Beta – Introduced today, Norton Mobile Utilities is a free beta developed for Android devices to help users stay within their preset call, text or data plan and manage their downloaded applications. Norton Mobile Utilities beta is available for immediate download from the Android market.
Also new today, the highly active Norton User Discussion Forum has been optimized for mobile devices on the iPhone, Android, RIM, Windows Mobile, Palm and Symbian platforms. The discussion forum is a destination for Norton customers, employees and others to discuss Norton products and related topics. With more than 2 million monthly visitors, it serves as an interactive friendly resource to find help with offerings such as Norton Mobile Security and Norton DNS in addition to the flagship Norton products.
Pricing and Availability
Norton DNS remains free to all users and can be downloaded via http://nortondns.com/. Norton DNS is available for any device where the DNS settings can be changed to point to a Norton DNS server. This includes PCs, Macs, tablet computers and smartphone platforms such as Android, iPhone and Windows Mobile phones.
Norton Mobile Security is now available for a one-year license through select Symantec partners. Alternatively, consumers can download a free limited-trial beta version directly from the Android Market.
The new Norton Mobile Utilities beta application was developed for the Android platform, version 2.0 and later. It is free and can be downloaded to a device by navigating to the Android Market and searching for Norton Mobile Utilities.
About Norton from Symantec
Symantec’s Norton products protect consumers from cybercrime with technologies like antivirus, anti-spyware and phishing protection-- while also being light on system resources. The company also provides services such as online backup and PC tuneup, and family online safety. Fan Norton on Facebook at www.facebook.com/norton and follow @NortonOnline on Twitter.
Symantec is a global leader in providing security, storage and systems management solutions to help consumers and organizations secure and manage their information-driven world. Our software and services protect against more risks at more points, more completely and efficiently, enabling confidence wherever information is used or stored. More information is available at www.symantec.com.
Note to Editors: If you would like additional information on Symantec Corporation and its products, please visit the Symantec News Room at http://www.symantec.com/news. All prices noted are in U.S. dollars and are valid only in the United States.
Symantec and the Symantec Logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Symantec Corporation or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
Forward-looking Statements: This forward-looking indication of plans for products is preliminary and all future release dates are tentative and are subject to change. Any future release of the product or planned modifications to product capability, functionality or feature are subject to ongoing evaluation by Symantec, and may or may not be implemented and should not be considered firm commitments by Symantec and should not be relied upon in making purchasing decisions.