LAS VEGAS – VMworld 2011 – Aug. 30, 2011 – Today at VMworld® 2011, Symantec Corp. (Nasdaq: SYMC) announced new V-Ray technology enhancements to Backup Exec 2010 to provide organizations with greater visibility into their physical and virtual environment with a single backup solution, saving time and reducing overall complexity. The latest version of Backup Exec 2010 will support VMware’s upcoming release of VMware vSphere® 5 and integrates with Symantec ApplicationHA to predict and trigger an application restore if ApplicationHA is unable to remediate an application failure. This first-to-market integration helps IT administrators feel confident in expanding their VMware adoption knowing they can now eliminate costly downtime of mission critical applications within virtual environments. Backup Exec’s V-Ray technology also includes the new virtual machine validator feature to allow administrators to easily resolve backup issues by validating the recoverability of VMware backups through integration with the VMware vCenter™ Server administration console.
“When it comes to backup, businesses must standardize on one product for physical and virtual protection if they seek the greatest storage savings and the least amount of management. Backup Exec V-Ray update provides new predictive VMware recovery, integrated deduplication and automated backup protection of new guest machines to help customers increase cost savings while eliminating downtime,” said Amit Walia, vice president of product management for Backup Exec, Symantec Corp. “Now with integrated VMware recovery powered by ApplicationHA, Backup Exec opens the floodgates for more critical systems to be virtualized.”
Overall Backup Exec’s embedded V-Ray technology provides backup and virtualization administrators with a simpler data and application recovery process. The new Backup Exec V-Ray features give administrators a clear catalog view of their backups so they can then select an entire backup set or a single object to restore from either their physical or virtual environments. Backup Exec’s first predictive recovery feature, powered by Symantec ApplicationHA helps reduce downtime of tier one mission-critical applications in VMware environments, and also provides new recovery validation and broad platform and application support for the upcoming VMware environment – vSphere 5.
“Symantec’s V-Ray technology provides our joint customers with across-the-board integration and the ability to view deep inside their virtual machine for optimized backup, security and availability of VMware,” said Parag Patel, vice president, Global Strategic Alliances, VMware. “Symantec’s latest Backup Exec V-Ray updates provide significant operational and technical benefits and helps ensure that users will not have to run separate solutions for physical and virtual backups – ultimately helping to accelerate virtualization and cloud adoption without reinventing backup.”
Backup Exec 2010 is VMware Ready™ and provides innovative backup and recovery features to protect VMware environments:
- NEW VMware vSphere 5 support, upon its release allows Backup Exec to provide broad platform and application support including protection for the latest VMware environment.
- NEW Backup Exec predictive recovery automatically triggers an application restore with Backup Exec for any applications it is monitoring and unable to remediate failure. Symantec Backup Exec integrated with Symantec ApplicationHA can be managed through VMware vCenter Server.
- NEW V-Ray Virtual Machine Validator enables the Backup Exec destination to power-on a virtual machine directly from the backup to certify recoverability through VMware vCenter Server.
- V-Ray visibility enables deduplication all the way to the source and across physical and virtual environment for leading storage savings.
- Patent pending V-Ray with Granular Recovery Technology allows administrators to quickly find and restore objects inside Exchange, SQL and Active Directory in a simple process.
- Backup Exec V-Ray visibility can automatically identify and backup new machines added to a VMware environment.
- Backup Exec provides broad disk and tape support for storage infrastructures though one console.
- 2011 VMworld Press Kit
- SlideShare: 2011 VMworld News
- Slide Share: Symantec 2011 Backups in a Virtual Environment Flash Poll Global Results
- 2011 Symantec Virtualization and Evolution to the Cloud Survey
- Symantec V-Ray Technology
- Symantec Backup Exec
- Symantec Virtualization Solutions
- Symantec ApplicationHA
Connect with Symantec
About Storage from Symantec
Symantec is a global leader in providing security, storage and systems management solutions to help consumers and organizations secure and manage their information-driven world. Our software and services protect against more risks at more points, more completely and efficiently, enabling confidence wherever information is used or stored. More information is available at www.symantec.com.
Note to Editors: If you would like additional information on Symantec Corporation and its products, please visit the Symantec News Room at http://www.symantec.com/news. All prices noted are in U.S. dollars and are valid only in the United States.
Symantec and the Symantec Logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Symantec Corporation or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
VMware, VMware vSphere and VMworld are registered trademarks and/or trademarks of VMware, Inc. in the United States and/or other jurisdictions.
Forward-looking Statements: Any forward-looking indication of plans for products is preliminary and all future release dates are tentative and are subject to change. Any future release of the product or planned modifications to product capability, functionality, or feature are subject to ongoing evaluation by Symantec, and may or may not be implemented and should not be considered firm commitments by Symantec and should not be relied upon in making purchasing decisions.
TECHNORATI TAGS: Symantec, Backup, recovery, virtualization, backup appliance, Backup and recovery, cloud storage, information management, data protection, data retention, Backup Exec, NetBackup, deduplication