MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. – January 31, 2012 Today, Norton by Symantec (Nasdaq: SYMC) released the public beta of Norton™ Identity Safe, a free, cloud-enabled service that allows consumers to easily and securely store and synchronize logins, passwords, credit cards, and other Web form information across browsers and devices. Available for free download from IdentitySafe-beta.norton.com, Norton Identity Safe beta is designed to help consumers address the complex challenge of keeping their identities secure and protecting their passwords across multiple sites and devices.
Today, consumers are faced with trying to remember numerous logins and passwords in order to access their favorite websites, without putting their personal information at risk. According to Norton research, 38 percent of people surveyed still write down their passwords. Forty-five percent re-use the same passwords across multiple sites, leaving them open to risk as hackers may crack the password on one site and gain access to all of their accounts. To help consumers solve these problems, Norton Identity Safe beta provides a simple, secure way to manage passwords across Windows PCs, iOS devices such as iPhone and iPad, and Android devices.¹
Norton Identity Safe beta features include:
- Simplified password management – Eliminates the hassle of remembering multiple logins and passwords, as users only need to remember one master password for quick, secure access to their favorite sites.
- Streamlined user experience – Shows users their logins with thumbnail images, allowing them to log in to a desired site by clicking on the image, or for mobile and tablet users, by simply touching the screen.
- Share Via – Allows users to safely share online content by sending URLs through email and social networking plugins, directly from Norton Identity Safe beta.
- Automatic login synchronization across devices – Enables users to store a password on one device and easily log in from another device, wherever they go.
- Safe Search – Ensures users can search with confidence and view site ratings right in the search results, enabling users to see whether a website is safe before visiting it.
Norton Identity Safe beta also includes Norton Safe Web protection, which helps consumers keep their online credentials from being compromised by unsafe websites. Norton Safe Web, which is designed to perform thorough site analysis to identify security risks, benefits from a network of millions of Norton Community Watch end-points that automatically submit suspicious URLs in real-time for analysis.
Beta testers are encouraged to share feedback and discuss their product experiences in our online Norton Public Beta Forum. A version of Identity Safe is also included in the award-winning products Norton Internet Security and Norton 360.
About Norton from Symantec
Symantec’s Norton products protect consumers from cybercrime with technologies like antivirus, anti-spyware and phishing protection-- while also being light on system resources. The company also provides services such as online backup and PC tuneup, and family online safety. Fan Norton on Facebook at www.facebook.com/norton and follow @NortonOnline on Twitter.
Symantec is a global leader in providing security, storage and systems management solutions to help consumers and organizations secure and manage their information-driven world. Our software and services protect against more risks at more points, more completely and efficiently, enabling confidence wherever information is used or stored. More information is available at www.symantec.com.
Note to Editors: If you would like additional information on Symantec Corporation and its products, please visit the Symantec News Room at http://www.symantec.com/news. All prices noted are in U.S. dollars and are valid only in the United States.
Symantec and the Symantec Logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Symantec Corporation or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
¹ Norton Identity Safe: Mobile Edition beta application must be installed on mobile devices to access Norton Identity Safe. The mobile applications complement the PC client, which must be downloaded and installed prior to installing the mobile applications.