Symantec Redefines Next Generation Data Protection
LAS VEGAS – Symantec Vision - June 10, 2008 – Symantec Corp. (Nasdaq: SYMC) today announced an evolution in the company's next generation data protection strategy. Through a series of product updates to the Veritas NetBackup platform, Symantec raises the bar for complete data protection by integrating next generation technologies, such as data deduplication and continuous data protection, to provide improved manageability from a single solution. In addition, the NetBackup platform now offers granular recovery capabilities for Windows and VMware environments.
Organizations of all sizes are challenged with managing their disk backup storage growth and improving the speed and ease of recovery of application data, leading to increased complexity for IT administrators. To address these challenges, Symantec continues to enhance its data protection portfolio through technology synergies between NetBackup and Backup Exec in the areas of disk-based backup, virtual machine support, Windows protection, OpenStorage and recovery capabilities. Symantec customers across all market segments, from small and medium-sized businesses to large enterprises, will benefit from the greater cross-product integration as it allows for improved manageability and an enhanced user experience.
The updated NetBackup platform leverages the power of an open architecture to deliver data center-class global deduplication and block-level continuous data protection. This software-based approach provides an alternative to appliance-based and array-based solutions as it allows customers to leverage commodity server and storage hardware as one collective grid and to easily scale their data protection storage environment as they grow their business. Additionally, Symantec added the innovative Granular Recovery Technology it first introduced in Backup Exec to its NetBackup platform, allowing for quick recovery of an entire system or individual files, emails, documents and virtual machines from single-pass image backups of Microsoft Windows, Exchange, SharePoint and VMware servers. Symantec's Granular Recovery Technology eliminates duplicate brick-level backups, saving time and storage space for IT administrators.
NetBackup RealTime Protection 6.5 Provides Increased Protection for Mission-Critical Applications:
- Adds true continuous data protection to NetBackup's advanced recovery capabilities by capturing all changes to application data in real time, eliminating data loss and backup windows
- Integrated with NetBackup to improve users' experience through application-consistent recoveries and immediate access to disk-based images
- Provides a cost-effective alternative to array-based snapshots, delivering space-efficient, storage-independent recovery images
- NetBackup Storage Lifecycle Policies automate the movement of RealTime data to longer term storage media, reducing administrative overhead
NetBackup PureDisk 6.5 Integrated with NetBackup Improves Manageability and Offers Scalable Deduplication for the Data Center:
- Only data protection solution to combine the best of all deduplication architectures (source-based, inline target-mode and post processing) into one shared storage pool to help customers maximize storage reductions
- Enables customers to store more backup data on disk and to recover data faster
- Scalability to handle hundreds of remote sites, data centers and multiple Petabytes of backup data
- Integrated replication provides comprehensive disaster recovery options and an alternative to shipping tapes between data centers
- Leverages any storage hardware and existing NetBackup environments for dramatic cost savings
NetBackup 6.5.2 and 6.5.3 Provide Increased Protection and Recovery for Enterprise Windows and VMware, and Enhanced Security:
- Expanded support for Microsoft applications includes granular recovery of Microsoft Sharepoint 2007, Exchange 2007 and Windows Server 2008
- Granular Recovery Technology will provide object-level recoveries (file, email, mailbox, item, etc.) from a single image-level backup, eliminating the need for running dual backups in SharePoint, Exchange and VMware environments
- Unification of data protection technologies for Windows across NetBackup and Backup Exec
- Enhanced data protection support for VMware with the addition of VCB incremental backups and Snapshot Client support in a virtual machine
- Higher availability and policy-driven encryption key management for NetBackup tape environments
Symantec Global Services Helps Customers Maximize their Data Protection Investments:
- Symantec Consulting Services for next generation data protection help organizations maximize their technology investments by accelerating deployments, integrating technologies into existing operations and operating environments with maximum efficiency and minimum risk
- Residency Services for NetBackup augment existing staff with onsite experts who fill key strategic IT roles for an extended period of time. These seasoned experts range from senior product managers to IT system administrators
- Symantec Education Services offers classroom, live online, and self-paced technical training on the full NetBackup feature set enabling successful installation, effective administration and basic troubleshooting minimizing reliance on technical support
- Symantec Protection Network provides two Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) backup offerings to help small and medium-sized businesses easily protect their data through a hosted, online solution
- Symantec Online Backup – provides secure, cost-effective, online backup and recovery as a standalone service
- Symantec Online Storage for Backup Exec – allows Backup Exec 12 users to store copies of backup files online in Symantec data centers for disaster recovery
Pricing and Availability:
- Symantec offers a five system NetBackup starter pack at a suggested price of $3,995 USD
- NetBackup 6.5.2 and NetBackup PureDisk 6.5 are available now; NetBackup 6.5.3 is scheduled to be available late 2008; NetBackup RealTime Protection 6.5 is scheduled to be available Fall 2008
- "Symantec is redefining its data protection strategy to deliver a broad set of innovative products that focus on integration and manageability of next generation technologies," said Deepak Mohan, senior vice president, Symantec Data Protection Group. "Our goal is to continue to integrate between NetBackup and Backup Exec, along with other Symantec products, to provide ease of use for our customers and to better meet their data protection needs today and in the future."
- "It is imperative to our business that we protect our data in the most efficient way to maximize time and resources," said Eddy Navarro, computer systems manager, The J. Craig Venter Institute (JCVI), a world leader in genomic research. "NetBackup gives us the confidence and peace of mind that we can easily recover our information when we need it – whether it is an individual file or a complete application image – drastically reducing our overall IT risk."
- "IT organizations continue to see a significant growth in data year over year and need solutions that enable them to efficiently scale their data protection along with their business," said Lauren Whitehouse, analyst with Enterprises Strategy Group. "Symantec continues to prove itself as a leader by delivering innovative products, allowing organizations to successfully back up and quickly recover their critical information stored in data centers, remote offices and/or virtual environments."
Video product demos/whiteboard discussions:
- Veritas NetBackup and Symantec Backup Exec made up 47 percent of the overall backup/recovery market in 2006, based on revenue (Source: Gartner, Dataquest Insight, Enterprise Distributed System Backup/Recovery Market, Worldwide, 2006, November 2007)
- Symantec received a "positive" rating in the Gartner MarketScope for Enterprise Backup/Recovery Software, 2008 (Source: Gartner, MarketScope for Enterprise Backup/Recovery Software, 2008, April 2008)
- First Microsoft Certified solutions for all releases, including Windows Server 2008 and SQL Server 2008
- Veritas NetBackup was awarded the "Best of VMWorld 2007" for its support of VMware
- Symantec Backup Exec was awarded the MSExchange.org Readers' Choice Award in the Exchange Backup & Recovery category – based entirely on visitors' votes (May 2008)
Symantec is a global leader in infrastructure software, enabling businesses and consumers to have confidence in a connected world. The company helps customers protect their infrastructure, information and interactions by delivering software and services that address risks to security, availability, compliance and performance. Headquartered in Cupertino, Calif., Symantec has operations in more than 40 countries. More information is available at www.symantec.com.
Note to Editors: If you would like additional information on Symantec Corporation and its products, please visit the Symantec News Room at http://www.symantec.com/news. All prices noted are in U.S. dollars and are valid only in the United States.
Symantec and the Symantec Logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Symantec Corporation or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
The MarketScope is copyrighted 2008 by Gartner, Inc. and is reused with permission. The MarketScope is an evaluation of a marketplace at and for a specific time period. It depicts Gartner's analysis of how certain vendors measure against criteria for that marketplace, as defined by Gartner. Gartner does not endorse any vendor, product or service depicted in the MarketScope, and does not advise technology users to select only those vendors with the highest rating. Gartner disclaims all warranties, express or implied, with respect to this research, including any warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.
+1 (424)750-7586 or +1 (323) 401-1675
Connect Public Relations
+1 (252) 637-7923 or +1 (801) 373-7888
TECHNORATI TAGS: data protection; backup and recovery; granular recovery; continuous data protection; archiving; windows and backup; disk-based backup; disaster recovery; virtualization; virtual machines; data deduplication