Symantec Protection Network Continues Momentum with Beta Launch of Online Remote Access
CUPERTINO, Calif. – Sept. 16, 2008 – Symantec Corp. (Nasdaq: SYMC) today announced the expansion of Symantec Protection Network, with the immediate availability of Symantec Online Remote Access beta release, helping businesses securely access their files and applications on their computer regardless of physical location. Symantec Online Remote Access, powered by pcAnywhere, is the third service offering since the Symantec Protection Network launch in February and builds on the success of Online Backup and Online Storage for Backup Exec.
Today Symantec Protection Network also broadens its Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) platform to now support the Microsoft Windows Vista operating system in recognition of the increasing adoption of Vista in our customer base.
The worldwide market for remote access services (RAS) software is expected to grow from $94.9 million in 2006 to $369.8 million in 2011 at a CAGR of 31.3%, according to IDC's report on Worldwide Remote Access Services Software 2007-2011 Forecast. The growing trend for remote access services reflects the larger growth trend of online services, driven by customer demand for flexibility and choice when managing their business processes. Symantec is meeting that customer demand with the extension of services offered through Symantec Protection Network.
"Online Remote Access is a great step for Symantec to broaden its SaaS offerings to customers. We are impressed by the quick expansion of the Symantec Protection Network platform with a new offering less than a year after initial launch," said Ali Din, director of Strategic Development at En Pointe Technologies, a Symantec Enterprise VAR. "We're glad to see Symantec leverage their strengths across company product lines and bring their best products to market as online services. The market is continuing to open up for SaaS applications, and we think this new offering will resonate with many customers."
Symantec Online Remote Access is an online service that connects business professionals with their computers quickly and securely from any location. Mobile workers, telecommuters, field sales teams, satellite offices and IT organizations can securely access files, programs and other network resources remotely. Online Remote Access can be set up and ready for use within minutes of signing up, thereby providing a simple and easy-to-implement alternative to complicated and expensive VPN solutions. This powerful on-demand solution increases reach and productivity without requiring any upfront software purchase or network configuration. Subscribers can log in from any PC, with no pre-installed software required on the controlling computer, making users' desktop applications accessible on-demand.
"Today, we extend Symantec Protection Network by launching a third service that offers businesses the ability to securely access and control desktop applications and data from any browser regardless of physical location," said Jeff Hausman, vice president and general manager, Symantec Protection Network. "With this launch we reach another milestone of our vision to provide a common platform to deliver, manage and support a comprehensive suite of SaaS solutions that leverage our market-leading Symantec products and unparalleled expertise in storage and security."
With development based on Symantec's market leading remote control software, pcAnywhere, the Symantec Online Remote Access beta release provides an online service that includes:
- Simple, Consistent and Reliable Remote Access: Symantec's web-based centralized connection model securely overcomes communication challenges inherent with point-to-point remote access solutions, such as firewalls, dynamic IP addressing and private networking – no network modification is required.
- Real-time Remote Control: Users remotely take control of their actual desktop, so they can securely work on a distant computer as if they were physically present at that device.
- Two-way File Transfer: Easy remote file retrieval, upload and management between connected computers.
- Remote Printing: Print directly from applications on connected remote computers to local or networked printers connected to the controlling computer.
- Detailed Alerting & Reporting: Online and PDF reporting of information about connection times, durations, users, and computers; automatic configurable alerts notify users of selected service events.
- World-class Security: All data protected with end-to-end AES 256-bit encryption; optional remote screen-blanking and keyboard lock-out; user choice of Windows authentication and/or custom Access Code authentication methods, and other user-customizable security options.
- Redundant Data Centers: Assurance of high service availability through use of multiple data centers with redundant communications infrastructure.
 Source: IDC, Worldwide Remote Access Services Software 2007-2011 Forecast and 2006 Vendor Shares, Doc # 210075, December 2007
Symantec is a global leader in providing security, storage and systems management solutions to help businesses and consumers secure and manage their information. Headquartered in Cupertino, Calif., Symantec has operations in more than 40 countries. More information is available at www.symantec.com.
Note to Editors: If you would like additional information on Symantec Corporation and its products, please visit the Symantec News Room at http://www.symantec.com/news. All prices noted are in U.S. dollars and are valid only in the United States.
Symantec and the Symantec Logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Symantec Corporation or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.