Cyber Crime has Surpassed Illegal Drug Trafficking as a Criminal Moneymaker; 1 in 5 will become a Victim
Symantec Exposes the Truth about the Internet Black Market and Takes a Stand against Cyber Crime
CUPERTINO, CA (Sept. 10, 2009) – Every three and a half minutes a crime is committed on the streets of New York City3. Every two and half minutes a crime is committed on the streets of Tokyo4. But every three seconds, an identity is stolen online – that's nearly 10,512,000 identities each year. Cyber crime is real crime; and it is more profitable, provides more anonymity, and can be more difficult to prosecute than offline crimes. Today Symantec (Nasdaq: SYMC) the makers of Norton software, has launched a crusade against cyber crime.
Symantec is exposing the inner workings of one of the largest illegal industries in the world and arming the public with the information they need to stay protected through a collection of educational and actionable assets and corporate actions including:
- Internet Black Market video series – inviting the general public to take a virtual tour and learn how the online criminal marketplace operates, what is for sale and what the latest schemes of cyber thieves are;
- Every Click Matters website – taking an entertaining and educational look at the world of cyber crime, exploring digital dangers and who's behind them, understanding whether cyber crime can happen to you and educating on what you can do about it;
- Norton Online Risk Calculator - offering a quick and free tool to evaluate your risk level and provide an estimated value of your personal data to thieves in the criminal underground;
- "Cyber Crime Exposed" Booklet - educating on the threat of cyber crime, the risk it poses and how to safeguard against it through simple everyday steps;
- Norton Internet Security 2010 and Norton AntiVirus 2010 - Symantec works with governments and other agencies and organizations around the globe to support and influence legislation, policy and public education as it relates to online crime, Internet safety and privacy.
- Making it harder for cyber criminals to scam you - educating on the threat of cyber crime, the risk it poses and how to safeguard against it through simple everyday steps;
- Norton Internet Safety Advocate - Marian Merritt is a nationally recognized representative for Symantec's ongoing efforts surrounding Internet safety. She works alongside educators and public and private organizations to help families enjoy the Internet safely and securely. She also hosts the Internet Safety blog.
Internet Black Market video series
In this video series, Symantec invites you to take a virtual tour of the Internet Black Market and learn how the online criminal marketplace operates, what is for sale and expose some of the cyber criminals latest schemes.
This video provides the official welcome to the Internet Black Market and exposes how cyber criminals buy, sell, barter and trade YOU – meaning your credit card and social security numbers, your bank account information, passwords, logins, mothers' maiden names, date of birth, phone numbers – anything that can be sold for a profit.
This video provides a unique look at online threats from the criminal's perspective and shows how their scams are executed.
Video Description: This video exposes the online con game of phishing which uses spam, malicious Web sites, email messages, and instant messages to trick people into divulging sensitive information such as bank account information and credit card numbers.
Top Cyber Criminals and Scammers
Video Description: This video lifts the veil on the top scammers dealing in online crime and explores some of the latest schemes they use steal your money.
Every Click Matters website
This new website offers a glimpse into the world of cyber crime, explores digital dangers and who's behind them, exposes your risk and educates on what you can do about it.
Norton 2010 Microsite: http://www.norton.com/everyclickmatters
Norton Online Risk Calculator
Today Symantec also launched the Norton Online Risk Calculator. This quick and free 2-minute survey evaluates a user's risk level and estimates the value of their personal data to thieves in the criminal underground. How much do you think your identity would go for? Find out now:
Cyber Crime Exposed Booklet
New and free, this downloadable booklet "Cyber Crime Exposed" educates and empowers readers to take a stand against online crime and provides resources for victims. Available now at:
Symantec Takes a Stand against Cyber Crime Worldwide
Symantec works with governments and other agencies and organizations around the globe to support and influence legislation, policy and public education as it relates to online crime, Internet safety and privacy. The following are global examples of our everyday work making an impact on cyber crime:
- Providing expertise and guidance to the White House as it establishes the Office of Cyber security. (U.S.)
- Providing input into the Investigative Powers for the 21st Century (IP21C) Act which ensures law enforcement has the tools needed to fight crime in today's computer and telecommunications environment. (Canada)
- Being an active member of Singapore's Cyber Security Awareness Alliance, a public-private partnership established to build a positive culture of cyber security in Singapore, and promote and enhance awareness and adoption of essential cyber security practices.
- Providing expertise and guidance to policy makers in Asia Pacific countries as they establish and review their cyber-security laws and national e-security frameworks including the Philippines' Draft Data Privacy Act and Draft Cybercrime Bill, Thailand's Draft Personal Data Protection Bill, and Australia's Privacy Act and E-Security Review.
- Working on a collaborative project through the European Commission for ongoing research on the latest internet threats. The project commonly referred to as WOMBAT (Worldwide Observatory of Malicious Behaviours and Attack Threats) will help provide businesses and consumers the information and tools they need for greater confidence online
- Partnering with and sponsoring Action Innocence, a non-profit organization working to keep children safe online. (France)
- Sponsoring NETZ FAR KINDER, a public/private partnership of governmental, non-governmental and private sector organizations promoting children's safety online. (Germany)
"At the heart of this issue are the cyber criminals making a fortune online and the victims they leave behind. You don't have to be a victim," said Rowan Trollope, senior vice president, Consumer Products and Marketing, Symantec. "We're launching this aggressive initiative because we know that education can do a lot to help people understand just what "common sense" steps they should take to protect themselves online."
Norton 2010 Lets Users Deny Cyber Crime
With the introduction of the Norton 2010 products, Symantec empowers users with a choice – ALLOW or DENY cyber criminals a chance to destroy lives. Upon downloading Norton 2010, every user has the chance to join the fight against cyber crime by doing their part in signing up for Norton Community Watch, a program which acts like a real world neighborhood watch program that relies on the eyes and ears of the community to detect and report trouble. The powerful new reputation-based security model in Norton 2010 products leverages the strength of the data from the 30 million user-strong Norton Community Watch. Norton Internet Security 2010 and Norton AntiVirus 2010 are available now for purchase in the U.S. through retailers and the Symantec online store at www.symantecstore.com as well as various retail locations and online.
About Norton From Symantec
Symantec's Norton products protect consumers from traditional threats with antivirus, anti-spyware and phishing protection, as well as bots, drive-by downloads and identity theft— while also being light on system resources. The company also provides services such as online backup and PC tuneup, and is a trusted source for family online safety.
Symantec is a global leader in providing security, storage and systems management solutions to help consumers and organizations secure and manage their information-driven world. Our software and services protect against more risks at more points, more completely and efficiently, enabling confidence wherever information is used or stored. More information is available at www.symantec.com.