Symantec Introduces Endpoint Security for the Cloud Generation; First in the Industry to Deliver Deception, Mobile Threat Defense and EDR in a Single Endpoint Security Agent Architecture
Leapfrogs competitive 'next-generation' endpoint solutions; helps to simplify and lower operational costs while improving protection
MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. – Oct. 25, 2017 – Symantec, the world's leading cyber security company, announced the most advanced and fully-featured endpoint solution available today, bringing together deception technology, Mobile Threat Defense, Endpoint Detection and Response (EDR), Hardening and intensive protection through advanced machine learning. Built on the company's market-leading Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) platform, it is the first solution to deliver these capabilities in a single agent, meeting the challenges of the Cloud Generation by helping to simplify and optimize their environments, lower costs, and improve security.
As the business landscape evolves with the adoption of cloud computing and mobile technology, enterprises are working harder to protect employees across a diverse set of devices, while at the same time securing against new cyber threats. Symantec's effective defense against attacks such as WannaCry and Petya has reaffirmed the need for a platform-centric approach that brings innovative security solutions across all devices, networks and applications to combat escalating threats. These challenges have become more difficult alongside a shortage in skilled cyber security personnel and the emergence of complex point-solutions aimed at solving singular security issues.
Symantec uniquely provides comprehensive endpoint capabilities in a single agent, allowing CISOs and IT teams to monitor, manage and contain threats while reducing operational complexity. And through its integration framework, additional partner solutions can be integrated with Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) and managed within Symantec's single agent.
"Our new endpoint solution is exactly what our customers have been asking for – best of breed capabilities, integrated into a single agent, to help them streamline, lower costs and effectively combat advanced threats, malware and ransomware," said Mike Fey, Symantec president and COO. "More importantly, these technologies are not simply integrated -- they lead going toe-to-toe against their standalone counterparts in the industry. We call it Endpoint Security for the Cloud Generation and we are very proud to offer this level of advancement to our customers, completing another important milestone in our endpoint security strategy."
Endpoint Security for the Cloud Generation takes a comprehensive, platform-based approach to the modern threat environment, delivering unique innovations advancing the cause of endpoint security. Symantec Endpoint Protection is enhanced with several new innovative capabilities, including:
- Deception at Scale – Symantec turns the tables on attackers by bringing deception capabilities to endpoint protection. Deception technology deceives attackers into believing they have successfully breached an organization, when in reality, attackers are shunted to a false environment, served up fake assets and information – essentially leading them on a "wild goose chase" -- while the security team works to neutralize the attack. Delivered as part of SEP 14.1, Symantec is the first to bring built-in deception techniques to the endpoint protection market. As the market leader, deception can now be deployed at massive scale across Symantec's 175 million endpoints globally.
- Mobile Threat Defense through SEP Mobile – Symantec announces worldwide availability of SEP Mobile, just 90 days after the close of the Skycure acquisition, bringing best-in-class protection for mobile endpoints to customers and partners. SEP Mobile delivers comprehensive, proven and effective mobile threat defense, helping organizations protect both BYOD and corporate-owned devices, across modern mobile operating systems, including iOS and Android.
- Endpoint Detection and Response – Symantec announces Advanced Threat Protection 3.0 with major EDR enhancements integrated with SEP 14. In addition, Symantec expands this protection through Symantec Endpoint Detection and Response Cloud, a cloud-based service that can be deployed in minutes and helps to strengthen a firm's security posture against cyber attacks. Symantec EDR Cloud enhances investigator productivity with pre-built incident response playbooks that bring the skills and best practices of experienced security analysts to any organization while lowering costs.
- Signatureless Protection – SEP 14.1 applies advanced machine learning techniques and behavioral analysis to enable intensive protection that can be optimized for customer environments. SEP 14 proactively blocked more than one billion WannaCry infection attempts across endpoints globally with the help of this technology.
- Symantec Endpoint Protection with Hardening – SEP Hardening prevents vulnerability exploits including zero-day attacks and mitigates damage from attacks by shielding and isolating suspicious and malicious activity targeted toward commonly used applications.
- Analyst Quote: "Streamlining security protection has become increasingly critical for organizations. Sprawling point solutions create complexity, raise costs and are difficult to manage, while at the same time leave gaps that can be exploited. Symantec has brought together comprehensive endpoint capabilities, delivered through a single agent, allowing CISOs and IT to monitor, manage and act from one central location," Sean Pike, program vice president for IDC's Security Products group.
- Customer Quotes:
- "After The Economist launched Symantec Endpoint Protection 14, we realized a 60 percent drop in malware events," said Vicki Gavin, compliance director, head of business continuity, cyber security, and data privacy at The Economist. "Malware makes up two-thirds of the events we deal with. With SEP 14, we spend 80 percent less time dealing with malware events, translating into more time to focus on high-value projects."
- "The flexibility and access-anywhere capabilities of mobile are crucial for our employees, but these cloud generation endpoints bring with them a whole host of threats that can turn into major risks in financial services," said Brian Jacome, director, Applications and Operations at Royal Bank of Canada. "We feel SEP Mobile provides an effective and business-friendly approach that within hours of deploying, was able to identify a threat that would have previously gone undetected. Now we routinely catch threats before they can even become a problem."
Products included in Endpoint for the Cloud Generation
Symantec Corporation (NASDAQ: SYMC), the world's leading cyber security company, helps organizations, governments and people secure their most important data wherever it lives. Organizations across the world look to Symantec for strategic, integrated solutions to defend against sophisticated attacks across endpoints, cloud and infrastructure. Likewise, a global community of more than 50 million people and families rely on Symantec's Norton and LifeLock product suites to protect their digital lives at home and across their devices. Symantec operates one of the world's largest civilian cyber intelligence networks, allowing it to see and protect against the most advanced threats. For additional information, please visit www.symantec.com or connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.