- You cannot install a Backup Exec server on a computer that runs the Windows Server Core installation option of Windows Server 2008. You can only install the Backup Exec Agent for Windows on Server Core computers.
- You cannot install SQL Express or SQL Server 2005 on a Windows Server 2008 computer that is configured in a Read Only Domain Controller (RODC) role. The Read Only Domain Controller role does not let you use the local accounts that are required for SQL Express and SQL Server 2005. When you install Backup Exec on an RODC computer you must select a remote SQL instance for the Backup Exec Database.
Additional Application Support
- You can use Backup Exec with Microsoft System Center Operation Manager (SCOM) 2007.
- Internet Explorer 7.0 or later.
- Intel Pentium, Xeon, AMD, or compatible.
SQL Server or SQL Express
- Service Pack 4 is required.
- Required: 512 MB RAM above the operating system's requirements.
- Recommended: 2 GB RAM (or more for better performance)
Please note: RAM requirements may vary depending on the operations performed, the options installed, and the specific computer configuration.
- For the Central Admin Server Option: 1 GB RAM is required; 2 GB RAM is recommended.
- Symantec Recovery Disk: 1 GB minimum (dedicated) for the multi-lingual version.
- Virtual Memory Recommendations: 20 MB above the Windows recommended size for total paging file size (total for all disk volumes). Refer to your Microsoft Windows help documentation for instructions on how to view or set the paging file size.
Installation Disk Space
- 1.44 GB (Typical installation)
- 2.32 GB (Includes all options)
Note: Disk space requirements may vary depending on the operations performed, the options installed, and the specific system configuration. The Backup Exec database and catalogs require additional space. An additional 330 MB is required for SQL Express.
- Network interface card or a virtual network adapter card.
- CD/DVD drive.
- A mouse.
You can use storage media drives, robotic libraries, removable storage devices, and non-removable hard drives. Support is available for the first drive in each robotic library when you purchase Backup Exec. To enable support for each additional robotic library drive, you must purchase the Backup Exec Library Expansion Option.