How to Allow Rapid Release definition updates for Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange (SMSMSE) when Windows Firewall is enabled.
|Article:HOWTO56033|||||Created: 2011-07-21|||||Updated: 2014-05-20|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO56033|
SMSMSE uses the File Transfer Protocol (FTP) to download Rapid Release updates. By default, Windows Firewall blocks FTP connections. In order to allow SMSMSE to use Rapid Release updates, you must create an exception allowing FTP transfers within the Windows Firewall configuration.
To create a Windows Firewall exception for FTP:
- Open the Windows Firewall with Advanced Security console (Start -> Administrative Tools -> Windows Firewall with Advanced Security)
- In the console tree on the left side, right click Inbound Rules and select New Rule
- A "New Inbound Rule Wizard" window will appear
- Leave the "What type of rule would you like to create?" selection on the default of "Program" and click Next >
- Under "This program path" click Browse...
- Browse to the location of ftp.exe.
On 32 bit systems: C:\WINDOWS\System32
On 64 bit systems: C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64
- Highlight ftp.exe and click Open then click Next >
- On the "What action should be taken when a connection matches the specified conditions?" selection, leave the default of "Allow the connection" and click Next >
- Leave the defaults on the "When does this rule apply?" and click Next >
- Give the new rule a descriptive name such as "SMSMSE FTP Inbound rule" and click Finish
- In the console tree on the left side, right click Outbound Rules and select New Rule
- Repeat steps 3 through 10, replacing the name with "SMSMSE FTP Outbound rule" for step 10.
Once these steps have been completed, Rapid Release definitions for SMSMSE will now be allowed through the Windows Firewall.
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO56033