Warning "Snapshot provider error 0xe00008526. Backup Exec could not locate a VSS software or hardware snapshot provider for this job."
|Article:TECH125459|||||Created: 2010-01-22|||||Updated: 2012-12-07|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH125459|
Backup Exec unable to locate snapshot providers installed on the computer.
V-79-57344-34086 - AOFO: Initalization failure on: "C:". AOFO used: Microsoft VSS. Snapshot provider error 0xe0008526: Backup Exec could not locate a VSS software or hardware snapshot provider for this job. Select a valid VSS snapshot provider for the target computer.
Application Log :
Log Name: Application
Event ID: 7001
VssAdmin: Unable to create a shadow copy: The volume shadow copy provider is not registered in the system.
Command-line: 'C:\Windows\system32\vssadmin.exe Create Shadow /AutoRetry=15
C: Drive properties window shows error about VSS Provider:
1. Go to Windows Explorer
2. Right click on C: drive
3. Click " Shadow Copies" tab.
4. Check for this error:
Error: 0x80042304 : The volume shadow copy provider is not registered in the system.
The snapshot provider selected for the backup job is not installed on the server being backed up.
- Open a command prompt.
- Type "vssadmin list providers"
- If writers not listed or show they are in an error state, reboot the server and run the command again
2. Change the backup job to use a specific snapshot provider.
- Open the backup job properties.
- Navigate to Advance Open File.
- Confirm the "Use advanced open file option" is checked.
- Select the appropriate snapshot provider - "Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service" with "System" selected in the pull down menu is typically best:
VSS snapshot error. Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) cannot communicate with the writers. Check within Windows Services Console that the Volume Shadow Copy Service is started, and check the Windows Event viewer for errors related to this service.
Backup Exec could not locate a VSS software or hardware snapshot provider for this job
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH125459