How to restore/retain client-server SEP communication using custom installation settings without having to use the sylink drop tool on SEP 12.1
|Article:TECH173377|||||Created: 2011-11-01|||||Updated: 2012-07-28|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH173377|
Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) clients lost communication with the SEPM on multiple machines. Or after deploying a new MR or MP version of SEP to the clients using the Client Deployment Wizard and now the clients no longer communicate with the SEPM.
Attempts to deploy a client over an existing client install, the software will detect the existing sylink.xml file and not overwrite it unless specifically set up to do so with a custom install setting to clear out the old communication settings and log files.
To create custom installation settings to restore client-server communication, please follow the steps outlined below:
- In the SEPM, click on Admin.
- Click on Install Packages.
- Click on Client Install Settings.
- Click on Add Client Install Settings...
- In the Install Tab window, at the bottom, note the option "Upgrade settings", Choose the "Remove all previous logs and policies, and reset the communication settings" option and click OK.
- Export a new Client Install Package and apply this new custom install setting to that package, then re-deploy to the client machines using the Client Deployment Wizard.
After the custom installation settings are created and saved, the installation package is ready to deploy to the clients. Follow the steps below:
- Launch the Client Deployment Wizard by going to Home > Comon Tasks (top right) and select the option ''Install protection client to computers''.
- Select Existing Package Deployment and click on browse... for select the current package.
- Select the package and after click on select option.
- Click on Next.
- Wait while the SEP will do search in network and after select the computer with the SEP clients without communication for send the new package and re-establish the communication.
- Use the administrator account on domain or workgroup for deploy new packages.
- You can use the Search Network tab to searching the computers using the IP range, hostname or text file with IP's the computers without communication with new SEPM.
(A text file list populated with either Host names or IP Addresses can also be used here.)
- After select all computer click on Next.
- Once all desired workstations are added to the "Computers to deploy" pane, click Finish. A progress indicator appears as the Symantec Endpoint Protection software is deployed.
The Symantec Endpoint Protection software will now install automatically to the workstations.
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH173377