Identifying missing items without the aid of search
|Article:TECH204599|||||Created: 2013-04-02|||||Updated: 2014-12-09|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH204599|
For various reasons, not all items archived may be indexed. If this happens, the items are not available via the usual search methods.
As a result, there will be the need to manually retrieve the indexed missing items directly from the storage location. This technote describes how to identify indexes with missing items, and then subsequently retrieve those items.
Index Volumes with missing items can be identified by using the Index Volumes Browser :
- Open the Enterprise Vault Administration Console and navigate to either the Archives node or the Indexing Node
- Right click the node and select "Index Volumes Browser..."
- Ensure that just the "Missing Items" attribute is checked and select "Search"
If there are no index volumes with missing items, there is nothing further to do. Everything archived is searchable.
However, if there are index volumes with missing items, you can run a Verify task against those index volumes to collect more information about the missing items:
- Open the Enterprise Vault Administration Console and navigate to the Indexing Node
- Right click the node and select Manage Indexes...
- Select "Verify", "Next", then "Add Index volume..."
- Ensure that just the "Missing Items" attribute is checked and select "Search" - this will return the same index volumes as identified in the Index Volumes Browser
- Select the Index Volumes to add, then click "OK"
- Select "Next" again on the Add indexes page, rename the task if you wish and ensure that the "Complete" verification level is selected. You do not need to select "Include content missing details" on versions 10.0.1 and above.
- Select "Next" and "Create task"
The Verify task will now run against all selected Index Volumes. Upon completion of the individual subtasks, you can view the subtask report file. Within this file, the details of all the missing items are listed:
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH204599