Scan Engine 5.2: LiveUpdate not downloading updates on a non English version of Microsoft Windows
|Article:TECH97819|||||Created: 2009-01-01|||||Updated: 2013-03-25|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH97819|
You are using Scan Engine 5.2.x and Java LiveUpdate on a non-English Microsoft Windows version, and notice the following behaviour:
- The virus definitions are not being downloaded.
- Following LiveUpdate status might be displayed:
Symantec is aware of the issue and currently working to resolve it.
Please note that a workaround is available and can be used to restore the correct LiveUpdate functionality, by following the steps below:
- Click "Start" then "Run" and enter the following text: %PROGRAMFILES%
- You are now in the system's default Program Files folder (named according to your Windows language)
- Enter the folder equivalent to "Common Files". E.g. "File Comuni" on a Italian OS, or "Fichiers communs" on a French OS.
- You will see a "Symantec Shared" folder. Right-click on it and select "Copy"
- Browse back to %PROGRAMFILES%
- Manually create a new folder called Common Files and enter it
- Paste the clipboard contents (copied at Step 4) in here
- LiveUpdate should now be able to download updates properly
Examples of how the "new" folder layout would look like on commonly used localised OS:
French = C:\Programmes\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Java LiveUpdate
Italian = C:\Programmi\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Java LiveUpdate
German = C:\Programme\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Java LiveUpdate
Spanish = C:\Archivos de Programa\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Java LiveUpdate
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH97819