SSIM Installation Procedure
To install and configure Symantec Security Information Manager, you must complete the following steps in the order that is shown:
- Connecting the appliance
- Installing the appliance software
- Installing the Symantec Security Information Manager console
Symantec Security Information Manager provides you with two options for installing the software that runs in the appliance. You can use the installation wizard to prompt you for information such as network and time zone settings, or you can let the installation run by itself using all default settings. Software installation can require an hour to complete and requires the system to reboot once.In most cases, you should use the installation wizard, because some information (such as the name of the security directory) cannot be changed without re-installing the appliance software. If you choose to install with all default settings, you must use the Information Manager Web configuration interface to specify configuration settings later. If your network is not configured to use private IP addresses, you must connect a computer to the appliance using a cross-over cable before you can access the Information Manager Web configuration interface.
- To install the appliance software
- Turn on the monitor.
- Turn on the appliance.
- When the appliance starts up, press F2 to enter CMOS setup, and then use the options in the CMOS setup program to set the appliance date and time. Failure to set the time properly may result in difficulties with security certificates and the appliance database.
- Exit the CMOS setup program and reboot the appliance.
- When prompted by a message that asks you whether you want to continue or run the setup utility, press F1 to continue.
- Insert the Symantec Security Information Manager 4.5 Installation DVD into the DVD drive.
- When prompted, do one of the following:
■Press 1 to run the installation wizard (recommended). You must then follow the on-screen prompts to configure the appliance software.
■Press 2 or wait 60 seconds to install the appliance software using all default settings. After the installation program completes, use the Information Manager Web configuration interface to specify settings.