Moving the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager to another drive or server is not an overly complicated process, but there are a few simple steps that you will have to adhere to in order to make sure that the SEPM will communicate with the clients once it has been moved to the new location.
*NOTE: If using this method to move to a new server, make sure that the Server Name and IP Address are the same on both the old and new servers.
(1) Use the Symantec Endpoint Protection “Database Back Up and Restore” utility to take a backup of the SEPM environment including the Log Files. This will do a couple of things:
a. Create a backup of the database which will be stored at C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\data\backup\*.zip
b. Create 2 backup files that contain the Private Key for the server. These files will be labeled “keystore_’date & version of backup here’.jks” and “server_’date & version of backup here’.xml”. These files will be located at C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\Server Private Key Backup\
(2 ) All of these files should be copied to a location that is easily accessible at a later time.
(3) Uninstall Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager from the Server.
(4) Restart the server.
(5) Install the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager on the desired Drive, using the same installation media version that you just uninstalled from the C: Drive.
(6) When the Configuration Wizard launches at the end of the Installation, accept most of the standard settings. If your old installation used a SQL DB, make sure that you configure the DB setting to connect to the original database. This will of course remove your old configuration from the DB, but that’s why we have a back-up.
(7) Copy the database backup file to <Install Drive>:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\data\backup\.
(8) Stop the Service titled “Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager”
(10) Launch the “Database Back Up and Restore” utility, except this time select “restore” from the main menu; when asked which version to restore, select the one that was just copied to the new SEPM installation path.
(11) Once the restore is complete rename and copy the 2 key backup files to :
“server_’date & version of backup here’.xml” – <Install Drive>:\Program Files\Symantec\ Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\tomcat\conf\server.xml
“keystore_’date & version of backup here’.jks” – <Install Drive>:\Program Files\Symantec\ Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\tomcat\etc\keystore.jks
(12) Run the “Management Server Configuration Wizard” to ‘Reconfigure’ the database, making sure to point it to the same database as was used previously.
(13) After the reconfiguration is complete, the SEPM Console will launch automatically. You should now be able to log in as you have always done using your security accounts. The Console should indicate that it is communicating and managing the clients that were being managed prior to the SEPM Move.