We hope you'll enjoy this document comparing the two currently supported versions of Deployment Solution: 6.9 and 7.5 (7.1 is technically still supported, but has reached EOL status and is not discussed except in passing. Another version of this document already exists for 7.1 here. ). An Executive Summary from the doc follows:
There has been significant confusion about these two versions of Deployment Solution (DS). Version 7.5 of Deployment Solution is intended to be a product upgrade and has been significantly expanded to meet the needs of enterprise customers. However, Symantec recognizes the need to keep both versions active at this time with recognition of the different market needs each fill. As of 2014, both products are fully supported and no End of Life (EOL) has been made (though at release of DS 7.5, per normal Symantec practice, versions 7.1 and 7.0 both started the EOL cycle.
This leaves customers with a very real choice between two product versions that offer essentially the same functionality but differ significantly in execution and features.
Which is right for you? Should you migrate? If so, to which version?
Hopefully, this document will help clear that up by discussing things like:
- Understanding the fundamental differences in the two versions.
- Understanding how each version fits in the Symantec Endpoint Management portfolio.
- Knowing the strengths and weaknesses of each version of Deployment Solution.
- Understanding how to migrate from 6.9 to 7.5.
- Understanding how to migrate from 7.5 to 6.9.
- Knowing how to integrate both versions during a migration or longer.
Hope you like it!!
(PS. More in this series - the upgrade to the Putting it All Together series - are forthcoming!)