Endpoint Protection

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

11.0.6a silent install

• 1.  11.0.6a silent install

Posted Jul 26, 2010 03:48 PM
    Aloha,

Can someone kindly tell me how to modify the default 32bit install package (or create a new one) that is silent? I have reviewed the manual, but still am having difficulties.

Mahalo,
                 Bill

• 2.  RE: 11.0.6a silent install

Posted Jul 26, 2010 04:00 PM
    follow this document

Creating custom client installation packages in the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager console

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2007110513361348

• 3.  RE: 11.0.6a silent install

Posted Jul 26, 2010 04:17 PM

Mahalo. I have read that. Below where I give it a name, it is asking for the souce folder for the package building files. That's where I get stuck. I recently inherited this system - so I'm learning on the fly.

Bill

• 4.  RE: 11.0.6a silent install

Posted Jul 26, 2010 04:33 PM

If you want to know how to add the 32 Bit Install Package, the source would be the Symantec_Endpoint_Protection_11.0.6A_Xplat_EN_DVD\SEPM\Packages. From here you can select the type of package you want to add as in 32 Bit or 64 Bit.

If the package that you are trying to add is already listed in Client Install Packages then you won't be able to add it.

• 5.  RE: 11.0.6a silent install

Posted Jul 26, 2010 04:40 PM
    Ok.. Now we're getting somewhere!! So I would delete the original before creating the new?? No way to save the original?? Can I modify the original??

Bill

• 6.  RE: 11.0.6a silent install

Posted Jul 26, 2010 04:49 PM

These packages cannot be modified. You can only add or delete them from here. Also if you have the latest package listed there you will not be able to delete that. If there is any older version package listed you can delete that and also add it if required. To add it again you would need the CD or the SEPM folder for that version.

Any specific reason you want to modify this?

• 7.  RE: 11.0.6a silent install

Posted Jul 26, 2010 05:01 PM
    I want a silent install... I can't modify a package. I need to create a new package. To create a new package, I need to delete the original. But I can't delete the original because it is the most current.

What do I do????

• 8.  RE: 11.0.6a silent install

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 26, 2010 09:06 PM
    So, you just want a silent installation package?
    You can configure this by using 'Client Install Settings'.
    The steps: log into SEPM console -> Admin -> Install Packages -> Clients Install Settings -> Add Client Install Settings -> from the drop-down list 'Select an installation type', choose 'Silent'.

Hope this is what you want.

• 9.  RE: 11.0.6a silent install

Posted Jul 27, 2010 01:41 AM
    Create a new custom client installation configuration

Open the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager console.
    On the Admin Tab, under Tasks, click Install Packages.
    The current default client installation packages appear on the right.
    Under View Install Packages, click Client Install Settings.
    Under Tasks, click Add Client Install Settings.
    Specify the name you would like the custom Client Install Settings to have.
    Give the custom Client Install Settings a description.
    Select an installation type from the following:
    Select Silent (No user input or display) here..
    Click OK.

Create the new custom install package

In the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager console, on the Admin tab, under Tasks, click Install Packages.
    The current default client installation packages appear on the right.
    Under View Install Packages, click Client Install Packages.
    Under Tasks, click Export Client Install Package.
    Browse to or create a preferred export folder, and select it.
    Select whether or not you want to create a single .EXE file. Unchecking single .EXE will export mutiple files, including an *.MSI installer file.
    Under "Pick the customized installation settings below", from the drop down menu, select your custom Client Install Setting(The name which we given in previous step.).
    Choose "Export a managed client", then select the group to which the client will be installed. If no group has been created, select the Default Group. It is recommended to leave "Add clients automatically to the selected group" checked.
    Select the Preferred Policy Mode. The default is Computer mode.
    Click OK.

• 10.  RE: 11.0.6a silent install

Posted Jul 27, 2010 06:39 AM

Bill,

You just have to export a package to create install files those will be pushed or installed on a computer. All the required files are already present in the package, which does not require any modification. There are options to create custom package as per your need. You can choose which features you want in the package(Antivirus/Antispyware, Proactive Threat Protection and Network Threat Protection), you can choose settings like interactive or silent package, location where it should be installed, where should the logs be generated. And then export the package.

First comment by Rafeeq has the link using which you can create a custom package.

• 11.  RE: 11.0.6a silent install

Posted Jul 27, 2010 09:47 AM
    i think you are getting confused here,
    the source folder it would ask is when you want to add a new package to the sepm itself
    say your manger is 11.0.4 and you want to add a package of 11.0.5000, you can browse to that cd and point to the folder named packages
    as far as silent package is concerned
    you need to create a client install setting first...( refer first document)
    when you export  the package , you need to select this from the drop down menu and then save it.
    this is how  you create a silent install package.