Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  12.1.5 - Clients lose green dot on sep-trayicon after a few days

Posted Nov 06, 2014 10:01 AM

Hi all.

We upgraded sepm 12.1.4 to 12.1.5 last friday. since then it happened 2 times that clients lose connection / green dot on sep systray icon. first time on monday, second time on wednesday. so its about 2-3 days working and then the problem comes.

after restarting the sepm server, the green dot returns on the clients. but after 2-3 days its gone again....

however the sepm server looks good when the problem happens. no bad eventlog entries, no network problems, all services are running and i can start the sepm console without problems. 

we never had this issue before. it started to happen after upgrading to 12.1.5

does anyone have the same problem or know what could be wrong? or is it a bug in the new version?

• 2.  RE: 12.1.5 - Clients lose green dot on sep-trayicon after a few days

Posted Nov 06, 2014 10:03 AM

Enable sylink debugging on an affected client let it run until it loses connectivity and you can post the log here for review

How to enable Sylink debugging for the Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.x and 12.1 client in the Windows Registry

• 3.  RE: 12.1.5 - Clients lose green dot on sep-trayicon after a few days

Posted Nov 06, 2014 10:22 AM

One more possibility is duplicate hardware ID, check that possibilityas well

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH97626

• 4.  RE: 12.1.5 - Clients lose green dot on sep-trayicon after a few days

Posted Nov 07, 2014 01:41 AM

thanks brian i will try this.

Rafeeq: its not just one or some clients. all clients have this problem. even the sep client on the sepm server loses the green dot. on the SAME machine!

• 5.  RE: 12.1.5 - Clients lose green dot on sep-trayicon after a few days

Posted Nov 07, 2014 01:51 AM

seems to be a cert mismatch.

Clients should provide valid cert to SEPM to prove its authenticity

RUn management server configruationwizard once.

Open SEPM

click on clients

click on policies

general settings ( on top blue hyperlink)

security settings

uncheck enable secure communication using cert

on client

smc - stop

smc -start

check the status

• 6.  RE: 12.1.5 - Clients lose green dot on sep-trayicon after a few days

Posted Nov 07, 2014 02:29 AM

Rafeeq, thanks for this. Can you tell me how i can find out if there is a certifiacte error. i just opened the keystore file in C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\tomcat\etc\keystore.jks

and the tomcast cert seems to be valid.

also when this is really a cert problem, shouldnt the clients never have the green dot? just to make sure, as i said they only lose it about after 2 days and when i restart the server the dots are back again.

• 7.  RE: 12.1.5 - Clients lose green dot on sep-trayicon after a few days

Posted Nov 07, 2014 02:39 AM

when I was in support there were issues like green dot would come and disappear after few mins. the steps above fixed the issue. Got to be one of these, cert or your Server does not accept anymore TCP connection after few days. a sylink log file would reveal more info about this behaviour