Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  1402 Error installing SEP Client on Server

Posted Jun 15, 2011 12:26 PM

Hello,

While getting ready to update our SEPM server, I noticed that somehow two SEP clients are installed.  One which shows the most recent update date(when updating to RU6MP1) and one which seems to reflect the date SEP was first installed(4/25/2010).  For the sake of cleanliness, as well as concern for how the two might interfere), I am trying to remove the 4/25/2010 SEP client but I keep getting a 1402 permissions error.  I've gone into the registry and confirmed that my account as well as the group that I believe to has Full Control over the selected keys but still I can't uninstall it.   I also tried changing the key ownership to no avail. 

This is on a Windows 2008 SP2 server which also has SEPM.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.  

• 2.  RE: 1402 Error installing SEP Client on Server

Posted Jun 15, 2011 12:50 PM

Hello,

You can check out the below document for uninstalling SEP client from win 2008R2

How to manually uninstall the Symantec Endpoint Protection client from Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 2008 R2 64-bit

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH91038&locale=en_US

• 3.  RE: 1402 Error installing SEP Client on Server

Posted Jun 15, 2011 01:09 PM

well follow these before uninstalling manually.

1) why the defs are not updating...do u have windows firewall enabled?

2)open sep client click on help and support , click on troubleshooting does it say server name or server offline??

3) wrt to permission I suppose u must be getting a sort of pop up, check the folder make sure you take the ownership of the file and then give yourself full permission, my guess is it would be C:\windows\winSxS folder or something right?

• 4.  RE: 1402 Error installing SEP Client on Server

Posted Jun 16, 2011 07:57 AM

Idimple... if I go through that process of a manual uninstall, that won't have any affect to the SEPM which is on the same server, will it?

Rafeeq... the definitions are updating.  The add/remove programs feature is showing two SEP clients installed.  The one with the most recent install date is the functioning client and I have no problem uninstalling it.  The other one, which shows an install date ~2/2010, is not letting me uninstall it and doesn't appear to be functioning(according to add/remove programs it is the RU5 package which was installed when we first started using SEP.  We've updated the packages a couple of times since the original).  Everytime I try to uninstall it I get a permissions error :

Symantec Endpoint Protection

Error 1402. Could not open key:
    UNKNOWN\Components\0FF24EFF45EEAGt48A4B33C197386094\4D299035ABDD86F488D0FF05CA7535B1.
    Veriy that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel.

I have confirmed that the necessary permissions for that key include Full Control my account as well as Admin group.  I've also tried taking ownership of the key, subkeys and parent keys to no avail. 

Thanks.

• 5.  RE: 1402 Error installing SEP Client on Server

Posted Jun 16, 2011 08:13 AM

why dont u delete that key :) and run the install, 

P.S; take a backup plz

• 6.  RE: 1402 Error installing SEP Client on Server

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 16, 2011 10:09 AM

Hi,

Possible Cause :

This is mostly due to insufficient permission to gain access to a key in the registry.  

Possible Solution:

Open registry editor as an Administrator 
    Go to the location "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Components" 
    Right click on the key C9AE13788D0B61F80AF18C3B9B1A1EE8 
    Select Permission 
    Add the username with which SEP is being installed 
    Give Full Permission to this user 
    Click Advanced 
    Clear Inherit from parent the permission entries 
    Copy all the permission entries when prompted 
    Check the box to replace the permission entries on all child objects 
    Click OK twice 
    Restart the computer to take effect 

Check this article as well

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH135922

• 7.  RE: 1402 Error installing SEP Client on Server

Posted Jun 21, 2011 08:02 AM

Rafeeq... I am unable to delete that key.  It claims I don't have permission to the key despite giving myself and my group full control on the parent key, key and sub keys.

Chetan Savade... I have tried giving permissions to components and all subkeys as well as just the individual subkeys and it still doesn't work.  I've also tried taking ownership of the key but it still doesn't work.

I've been working with two Symantec technicians as well to no avail.  I ran cleanwipe as well and it removed SEPM and the working client but did not remove the RU5 client. 

At this point I'm almost inclined to simply leave it alone.

• 8.  RE: 1402 Error installing SEP Client on Server

Posted Dec 12, 2011 12:20 AM

I'd suggest following steps :-

1] disable Tamper protection on SEP client.

2] disable UAC from that server as well, reboot the server

3] stop Endpoint Protection service and then try to delete the registry

Please update the status,

Cheers!!