Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  169.X.X.X IP network address after imaging

Posted Jan 17, 2020 10:44 AM

Hi All, 

Server 2019 running GSS 3.3 RU2 

Problems after imaging

Any images that were created before the new server rebuild (last week of december) can be used to image a PC and it goes through the config, joins domain, completes tasks and works

Any new images (created since the rebuild - last 2 weeks) the image will create with no issues - but when pushed to any other PC, it images fine but stops at configuration point with no error (windows 10 1809) 

When logging in locally it has a 169 internal network address

Checked drivers, uninstall, reinstall still no ip address, no issues in device manager, card reported as working (its as if it cant connect to DHCP server) 

Tried using exisiting image create jobs and recreating the create job , tried pushing and pulling from different PCs but outcome is always the same - 169 address

Ive chekced everything I can think of and tried everything

Aside from reinstalling everything again on the server I was wondering if any body had any ideas ?

I have checked in the temp folder on express on 2 servers and only difference I cam see when comparing cfg files is a line 

not working server line

SetIPInfo=True
    Route0=0.0.0.0         ,0.0.0.0         ,10.110.1.250    ,                ,1,                ,0,0
    Static-Route-Count=1

working server line

SetIPInfo=True
    Static-Route-Count=0

If this is the cuase im not sure where to make the changes to it? 

We have 4 other servers on other sites, all identical and all working 

Thanks

• 2.  RE: 169.X.X.X IP network address after imaging
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 17, 2020 12:42 PM

Are your images sysprepped or not?   There is a defect from RU2 and later where non sysprep images restored (this would be a back up image if sysprep wasn't run) where back up images restored will not have a few services running and would get a simular behavior.    The defect is only with back up images and not sysprep images.   

DHCP CLient and TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper services are set to disabled. 

https://support.symantec.com/us/en/article.tech255853.html

2 workarounds are available if this is what you are seeing.   

Use the Microsoft required sysprep to make an image for deployment sysprep images won't have this issue.    

Or if you won't be using the MS required sysprep then remove your source system from the domain before you make your image.   

Hope this is what you are seeing because the workarounds are easy until a fix is put into the code.   Be keep in mind we have to say that Microsoft requires sysprep on images that will be deployed and we are not supposed to make recomendations contrary to what Microsoft requires.   Non syspreped images are backup images and should not be used for mass deployment.  But these back up images will have the issue noted in the tech that is linked above. 

• 3.  RE: 169.X.X.X IP network address after imaging

Posted Jan 22, 2020 04:06 AM

Sorry for the late reply - only managed to get to the site yesterday to try it 

Worked a treat 

I was able to re-enable the services, remove the PC from the domain and then pull the image back to the ghost server 

Pushed it out and worked fine - with valid IP address 

Thanks for the suggestion - much appreciated 

Thanks

Jon

• 4.  RE: 169.X.X.X IP network address after imaging

Posted Jan 22, 2020 01:01 PM

You bet I am glad it was that issues.    It is projected to be fixed in a future release but keep in mind that if you run sysprep on your master image this issue isn't seen either and according to MS you must run sysprep to qualify for technical support on deployed OS's.    It doesn't matter to me if you do or not we can still be friends if you dont but wanted to make sure you were in the loop on potential issues in the future.  

Cheers