Messaging Gateway

View Only
  • 1.  451 4.7.5 [internal] SSL cert must be signed by a valid CA]

Posted Nov 01, 2010 06:34 AM

Dear All,

I configured TLS on my brightmail gateway v9.0 using a CA certificate.

When I set my brightmail to Attempt TLS everything works, however when I enforce TLS by creating a non-local domain and set the Require TLS and don't verify certificate, the mail get stuck in delivery with this error :

451 4.7.5 [internal] SSL cert must be signed by a valid CA]

This is happening to only one domain, all the others set are working fine

Can you help ?

• 2.  RE: 451 4.7.5 [internal] SSL cert must be signed by a valid CA]

Posted Nov 01, 2010 10:33 AM

http://www.checktls.com/testreceiver.html   Enter a email address in the box on the left.

Also from the SBG Support login, try this, which will show you what SBG is seeing

openssl s_client -connect <remote_MTA_Host_or_IP>:25 -crlf -CAfile /usr/share/ssl/certs/ca-bundle.crt -starttls smtp

• 3.  RE: 451 4.7.5 [internal] SSL cert must be signed by a valid CA]

Posted Nov 02, 2010 07:23 AM

I've used the url above and both my mail server and the supplier mail server got the same result. what bothered me is that the certifcate couldn't be verified ?

do I need to do anything for my end ?

• 4.  RE: 451 4.7.5 [internal] SSL cert must be signed by a valid CA]

Posted Nov 02, 2010 07:32 AM

Ok I've understood why the certificate couldn't be verified. due to the common name in the certificate. I changed the brightmail gateway option on the domain to require and don't verify certificate from require and verify certificate.

I think this could be the issue, what do you think ?

• 5.  RE: 451 4.7.5 [internal] SSL cert must be signed by a valid CA]

Posted Nov 02, 2010 10:07 AM

Yes.  I've found that when SBG sends to a remote MTA, it expect the hostname from the MX record, to match either the common name, or one of the Subject Alternate Names (SANs) in the certificate.   If you are verifying a certificate, it should have a valid CA chain, and be for the host you expected to talk to, and not some other poser.

The remote MTA's admin didn't correctly implement the certificate.  They are not alone.  IBM India does the same.

• 6.  RE: 451 4.7.5 [internal] SSL cert must be signed by a valid CA]

Posted Nov 02, 2010 08:56 PM

As the original poster mentioned, you can set "require TLS", but I have not found a way to "allow" (but not force) TLS, but require a valid certificate if TLS is attempted.

Is there a way?

It really bugs me to be doing TLS transactions with spammers who don't present a cert.

• 7.  RE: 451 4.7.5 [internal] SSL cert must be signed by a valid CA]

Posted Nov 02, 2010 10:01 PM
      |   view attached

Dear Cricket17,

The URL seems to be broken because of embedded trailing spaces and shows an error as in the attachment. Can you trim the trailing spaces in the URL so that it shows up as http://www.checktls.com/testreceiver.html

• 8.  RE: 451 4.7.5 [internal] SSL cert must be signed by a valid CA]

Posted Nov 03, 2010 09:57 AM

Phill - are you wanting inbound mail from spammers asking you to do TLS, to present a client certificate from their side?

Look at your scanner, SMTP, Inbound and the 'request client certificate' option.

They'll just use a self-signed certificate.   It doesn't look like SBG can require a signed TLS client certificate.

• 9.  RE: 451 4.7.5 [internal] SSL cert must be signed by a valid CA]

Posted Nov 03, 2010 07:12 PM

Cricket: I already have that setting enabled.

As the wording implies, I think that is "request" not "require". So according to the message headers, I've seen a number of spams where they have used a TLS connection but provided no cert at all (self-signed or legit CA signed). Just got another one (missed spam) today:

Received: from host-78-129-142-32.rsclientdns.com (mail-book.info [78.129.142.32])
    (using TLS with cipher AES256-SHA (AES256-SHA/256 bits))
    (Client did not present a certificate)
     by [my BMG box] (My BMG ehlo string) with SMTP id XX.XX.XXXXX.XXXXXXXX; Wed, 3 Nov 2010 14:25:33 -0700 (PDT)