Email Security.cloud

View Only
  • 1.  501 Connection rejected by policy [7.7]

Posted Sep 11, 2016 03:11 PM

Hello,

Our emails sent to one of our business partners are getting filtered with delivery error "501 Connection rejected by policy [7.7]".

Log: "Sep  9 17:05:38 mail postfix/smtp[18173]: 2FF9143890: hostcluster5.us.messagelabs.com[216.82.241.195] refused to talk to me: 501 Connection rejected by policy [7.7] 11905, please visit www.messagelabs.com/support for more details about this error message."

Our mail server is properly configured, and not blacklisted, to our knowledge (and tests).

Could you please check your system and authorize our IP address 212.83.151.81, or let us know what actually triggerred the block so we can take corrective action.

As a side note: it would save a lot of people's time if you could have a better process to deal with these issues, like most other major email providers or filters.

1) The SMTP rejection message states "please visit www.messagelabs.com/support for more details about this error message" but this address redirects to your generic support page, and not the page specifically related to email distribution issues. Fortunately google is smart enough to give me the correct page straight away.

2) In the FAQ for rejection issues, you just say "If the problem persists, please contact Symantec.cloud support for further assistance.", but assistance can only be contacted by your customers. I guess you understand that most people encountering delivery issues are not your customers, but people trying to reach your customers...

3) After googling around and browsing this forum, it seems that this is the only way to reach you and trigger an action on your part. But I can only post here if I am registered. And registration implies providing a lot of information about myself and my company. Really, I'm here only to get an email to its recipient, so all this is kind of annoying.

4) Browsing the forum, I found the link to check email server IP's reputation and request de-listing, but the tool just says that all is fine with this IP. Which obviously is wrong, as the explanations on your FAQ regarding the error encountered clearly state server/IP related errors, not message related ones.

I hope these remarks will help you improve your process in this regards. Fighting spam is good, but please provide a proper way to solve issues with legitimate email.

Greetings,

Thomas

• 2.  RE: 501 Connection rejected by policy [7.7]

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 13, 2016 05:29 AM

Hi Thomas,

I'm looking into your issue currently

Kind Regards

Dave Parker

• 3.  RE: 501 Connection rejected by policy [7.7]
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 13, 2016 09:06 AM

Hi Thomas,

We have now cleared the IP you had issues with. Please do try sending emails again.

Kind regards

Dave Parker

• 4.  RE: 501 Connection rejected by policy [7.7]

Posted Sep 16, 2016 03:48 AM

Thanks, delivery is now working properly.

• 5.  RE: 501 Connection rejected by policy [7.7]

Posted Sep 16, 2016 03:48 AM

Thanks, delivery is now working properly.