Email Security.cloud

View Only
  • 1.  553: Message Filtered

Posted Aug 20, 2017 06:32 PM

Hi there, 

I am at my wits end. I have been on the phone to Symantec, I have been on live chat, I have read article after article and Symantec seems to make it very difficult to resolve this issue, or even help at all. This is now effecting my business opportunities. I am running an email account through G-Suite hosted at HostGator. I have changed the SPF records to include all from spf.google.com. I have added a DKIM record. I have added a basic SSL to the domain. Hostgator can't help me. Gmail can't help me and Symantec refuse to help me because I don't own their software. 

The error message is: "553 Message filtered. Refer to the Troubleshooting page at http://www.symanteccloud.com/troubleshooting for more information. (#5.7.1)"

I have gone to the support page and have tried everything else to fix this with no resolution. 

I. Check if your sending IP is on any spam lists, search for “spam database lookup”. You are looking for any 3rd party lists that may have received spam from your mail server. If your IP address is on any of these block lists, please make a removal request as soon as possible, once removed please retry sending your mail. - The IP is not on a Spam List

II. Ensure your mail server is not open relay, search for “Email Open Relay Tester” and choose from any number of testers. - The mail server is not on Open Relay

III. If your internet line is provided by DSL or Cable that shares IP’s with residential users, please ensure your mail server sends to your ISP’s smart host instead of direct to the internet. This reduces the potential of your email being detected in error as coming from a Trojan infected home user machine. - Happens regardless, Mobile, Work, Home network.

IV. Ensure the email you are sending does not contain any spam content (i.e. forwarded spam or ‘spamvertised’ URL’s). - Tried without any links, HTML, Plain Text, No attachments, Everything. 

V. Ensure your mail server is configured correctly. - According to both G-Suite and Hostgator, Yes. 

VI. Ensure you have no virus infected machines on your network that are being used to send spam through your mail server. - No malware detected by SiteLock or Hostgator

VII. Ensure you have no exploitable web scripts on your web servers that could be abused to send spam. The most commonly used one is PHP contact scripts which spammers use to abuse the PHP “mail()” function, giving them free reign to send what they want. - Nothing

VIII. Make sure any ‘opt-in’ newsletters contain an ‘opt-out’ link to be certain users can easily unsubscribe. If the problem persists, please contact the recipient by other means and request that your email address be added to their Symantec Cloud approved senders list. - I don't send newsletters at all. 

If the problem persists, please contact the recipient by other means and request that your email address be added to their Symantec Cloud approved senders list. Additionally, a legitimate email which has been incorrectly given a verdict of spam can be submitted to Symantec for analysis and filter review. Please review the False Positive submission article to submit a false positive message for analysis. - I have contacted all companies (banks) that I am having issues with and my domain is on their Whitelists and the problem still persists. Furthermore I have submitted multiple false positives with NO response. I have followed the instructions on sending as an attachment but regardless of how I do it, it is still a .eml or .msg file and there is no information anywhere on how to change this. 

Why is is that no one can tell me WHY this is happening to my emails, Symantec is filtering them so why will they not help me solve the issue? I am whitelisted at the clients end in their symantec admin settings yet my messages still get bounced. Please for the love of god just help me fix it. 

Full Error Message
    Final-Recipient: rfc822; (Clients Email Address)
    Action: failed
    Remote-MTA: dns; cluster8.us.messagelabs.com(216.82.251.39, the server for
     the domain westpac.co.nz.)
    Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 553-Message filtered. Refer to the Troubleshooting page at
     553-http://www.symanteccloud.com/troubleshooting for more
     553 information. (#5.7.1)

Kind regards,
    Tyler McGrath

• 2.  RE: 553: Message Filtered

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 22, 2017 06:38 AM

Hi Tyler

If you're still experiencing an issue with this please follow the process laid out here:

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH82881.html

Thank you

Ian Tiller

Tier 2 Senior Technical Support Engineer

• 3.  RE: 553: Message Filtered

Posted Aug 23, 2017 08:37 PM

Thanks for your reply Ian, my email is not a bulk mailer, I am only trying to send 1 standard email to a client, does this still apply? 

• 4.  RE: 553: Message Filtered

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 24, 2017 02:40 AM

Hi Tyler

The process is the same whether its a bulk mailer or a singular email.

If you submit the sample to the investigations email address mentioned in the process the team that looks after this will review the sample.

Thank you

Ian Tiller

Tier 2 Senior Technical Support Engineer