Asset Management Suite

View Only

Altiris Asset Management Un-usable after Symantec Recovery Solution 2011 is installed

• 1.  Altiris Asset Management Un-usable after Symantec Recovery Solution 2011 is installed

Posted Jul 07, 2011 10:52 AM

Symantec Support cannot figure out who this should belong to so i am posting the issue with a work around until they can figure it out.smiley

In a ITMS 7.1 environment after adding the "Symantec Recovery Solution 2011" Solution and rolling out the Agent Plug-in and then the full agent on to a client machine and information has been reported back from the client to the CMDB, accessing asset management (right Click Edit) Results in the following error (See Below)

Cause???:

The Cause (and this is my attempt to explain it) appears to be the Data classes created for Symantec Recovery Solution.  For Instance, the Data Class for BESR_Segment has 6 Definitions that do not contain a Definition "Type" in the SMP (i.e. String Boolean, Integer) they are blank Not to be confused with the table in the SQL Database. This can be confirmed by accessing the "Resource and Data Class Settings" under "All Settings\Notification Server". If data exists in these fields and you access Asset Management Data say to edit purchase info, when the Interface tries to evaluate the information to be displayed, there is no definition (i.e. Integer, Boolean etc) of how to display the data class that exists in the SQL Table because it was not defined in the Data Classes when they integrated it with the SMP. Result is Specified CAST is not valid.

I am sure some of the above is not 100% correct or does not fully explain what the "why" is but you get the jest.

To Work around this issue, Follow these steps:

1. Open the SMP Console (Notification Server Console)
    2. Select Settings\All Settings
    3. On the left hand side navigate to Settings\Notification Server\Resources and Data Class Settings\Resource Types\Asset Types\IT\Computer
    4. In The DATA CLASSES Section scroll down through the list and remove the Check from the following data classes
      1. BESR_Disk
      2. BESR_Segment
      3. BESR_Volume
    5. Click the button at the bottom to "Save Changes"
    6. Now Do the same for "Virtual Machine"
    7. On the left hand side navigate to Settings\Notification Server\Resources and Data Class Settings\Resource Types\Asset Types\IT\Virtual Machine
    8. In The DATA CLASSES Section scroll down through the list and remove the Check from the following data classes
      1. BESR_Disk
      2. BESR_Segment
      3. BESR_Volume
    9. Click the button at the bottom to "Save Changes"

Asset Management Data should now be accessible.

Please Note that this is a workaround currently there is a Symantec Helpdesk Ticket open and the issue is being looked into.