Client Management Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Altiris CMS in Amazon Web Services - 20,000 client builds

Posted Aug 12, 2017 04:15 AM

Hello, 

I'm looking for anyone willing to connect and share some experience building and/or operating a large Altiris CMS environment in Amazon Web Services. The Company I work for is looking to manage roughly 70,000 PCs around the globe from three Amazone zones (Americas, EMEA and Asia Pacific). We're interested in leveraging the Cloud Enabled Management servers to offload a significant amount of Altiris trafic across the internet.

For Example:

When we used the ITMS preparation guide the server specifications required to manage 20,000+ PCs does not exist in AWS. 

Any experience you could share would be greatly appreciated.

• 2.  RE: Altiris CMS in Amazon Web Services - 20,000 client builds

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 16, 2017 02:55 AM

ITMS 8.1 implementation guide has information about hardware suggestions for NS, Site Servers, SQL Server, when you are going to manage different amount of managed endpoints per Notification Server https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.DOC9470.html

• 3.  RE: Altiris CMS in Amazon Web Services - 20,000 client builds

Posted Aug 16, 2017 03:06 PM

In 8.1 version the SMP can manage 35k agents in the maximum (Page 55).

In addition, in AWS website there are three kinds of ITMS options using xlarge, 2xlarge or 4xlarge machines. I think if you pick the 4xlarge you will be able to manage 35k agents per server without any problem.

I'm attaching the AWS website bellow.

https://aws.amazon.com/marketplace/pp/B01NCXP3K4?qid=1502909952260&sr=0-7&ref_=srh_res_product_title#prod-includes

Regards,

• 4.  RE: Altiris CMS in Amazon Web Services - 20,000 client builds

Posted Aug 21, 2017 01:45 PM

We started with the Implementation guide but there was no direct reference for building in AWS. We foudn that we would either have to sacrifice CPU or Memory to select one of the AWS Server configs.

Additionally there is no guidance on how to take advantage of the AWS Service Model. Scaling up when you need it and down so you don't have to pay for it.

If anyone has already put in the effort to figure this out I'd love to compare notes.

• 5.  RE: Altiris CMS in Amazon Web Services - 20,000 client builds

Posted Aug 21, 2017 01:47 PM

Thanks, We did check out the availabel Altiris Services but we were either looking at the wrong link or this is brand new. The Material we were reviewing would only support up to 5000 PCs.

We'll review this and get back to you.

Thanks

• 6.  RE: Altiris CMS in Amazon Web Services - 20,000 client builds
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 22, 2017 07:55 AM

Hi Tsutomu.

Please, keep us informed about that. I've never known anyone using Altiris on cloud and I have some questions about performance, configuration, etc.

Good luck!

• 7.  RE: Altiris CMS in Amazon Web Services - 20,000 client builds

Posted Aug 22, 2017 02:42 PM

Hello Fernando and Igor, 

Thanks again for participating in this conversation. The AWS Link you sent does appear to be new and the sizing does appear similar to the Guidline's recommendation for 35K clients. Our Global Architecture will require three 35K Client configurations in three AWS zones to service PCs relative to each zone. The AWS Service doesn't appear to make use of the Cloud enabled Management and I'd have more questions about using this service in a Hierachy configuration with a Global Management/Reporting server on top of the three previously mentioned. 

For now I think we'll stick with the Guideline recommendation sacrificing CPU for Memory in AWS. I've also asked our Account Team to try and put me in contact with other customers who have deployed  in AWS. Who knows it might start a whole section on connect about Altiris in the cloud.

Thanks for your suggestions.